34. Saving the people of Sokovia

Our boat hovers next to the city and slowly lands on the side of it. The com in my ear crackles a little before I hear Rhodey over it.

"You think I can't hold my own?" He asks. I smile a little before I hear dad respond.

"We get trough this, I'll hold your own."

"You has to make it weird." Rhodey responds while I giggle a little. I look over at Harley, who climbed up on the seats and is pointing at something in the city.

I climb up next to him to see Steve running over to our pod.

"I got about 50 to a 100 more coming in after this group." He yells over all the noise. The people in the front of the boat nod and hundreds of people start to file in to the escape pods.

We quickly jump off the seats and run up front to see if there's anyone that needs help. The first group is practically fine, but the group coming in after that was a bit more beaten up. Harley and I helped some elderly people to the back of the boat for a check up and first aid, along with some more people that were injured. Our boat was packet pretty quickly. They started to prepare it for take off when one of the other helpers ran over to us.

"Come on guys, let's go to the next. They need help up there!" She yells over the noise.

"We're not supposed to leave this boat!" Harley yells back.

She looks at us for a second before nodding. Suddenly something explodes towards the middle of the city. A lot of people scream and yell while they all turn towards the sound. A bit of smoke rises from between some buildings.

"Probably just a car or something. Don't worry." The lady says. "Do you guys see that boat?" She says pointing at one about 80 feet next to ours. "There isn't many people on there yet. We're trying to get the more critically wounded off of that one, and onto this one so they can get to safety. Could you guys run over to help out. They're a man short already."

I look from her to Harley. He looks at her a bit confused. "How did they get to be a man short?"

The woman sighs. "Look around you kid. He died." She says a little quietly.

"I'm sorry." Harley mumbles before looking at me. I give him a tight nod and we start to make our way to the front of the boat. I click my bracelets together and pull on the gauntlets.

We step out of the boat, and it takes off right when we do. We start running to the next boat. There isn't really a lot going on there right now, so it is pretty safe. Apparently all the Ultron robot things are heading to the middle of the city, where the rest of the avengers are. We run on a little further until we're almost at the boat. Harley gets a little ahead of me and starts to get on when I see something move a little further away, next to me. I stop in my tracks and look over at it.

"Nova come on! It's not your job! Come here!" Harley yells from next to the boat. I look back at him with an apologetic look before turning and running towards the movement. There's a robot that's all broken up, but it's eyes are still glowing blue. I quickly turn up my blasters and shoot a plasma beam at it. It lets out a little smoke and the lights turn off.

"Nova come on!" Harley yells from behind me. I don't turn around. I just yell back: "yeah one second!"

I squint my eyes to see someone in the rubble. It's a man holding a baby. The baby is still kicking around in the mans arms. But he's gone completely still. He's covered in blood from a big wound in his chest. I think he might be dead.

I quickly jump off of the little pile of rubble I was on to be at the same level as they are. I hear Harley yell my name in the distance, but I don't listen to him. I quickly bend down to grab the baby from the mans arms. The little girl starts crying and kicking around even more.