23. Harley spazzed dad out

Dad told Harley to go get some things, and Maddie went with him to help him a little. Or because dad told her to, and I think he kinda scares her a little sometimes.

So now I'm just with dad in the little shed. I walk over to the suit and fiddle a little with one of the wires that popped out. It sparks and I get a little electric shock, so I quickly leave it and walk over to dad. He's seems alright, aside from the wounds and bruises. Nothing terrible. I sit down next to him, looking him over quickly. He's leaning his head in his hands while I try to peak at him a little.

"Papa? Are you alright?"

He lets out a sigh while he looks up. He stares ahead of him for a second before looking at me. He shakes his head, very slightly, but just enough for me to see.

"Are you hurt?"

He stays silent for a while, fiddling with his fingers while he blinks away some tears.

"It's... ehm." He lets out yet another sigh before dropping his head. "Sort of."

I keep looking at him while he struggles with himself. I can see him thinking. He's always thinking a lot. But now he's so so deep in his thoughts that I don't want to disturb him.

"Why did you have to come here Nova? Why did you have to make it so much harder?"

"I didn't want to do that. I wanna help."

"Well you're not!" He immediately shoots back. It sound harsh and I take a small step back.

He's scaring me. He's never done this before. I can feel tears forming in my eyes and even though I'm fighting very hard to keep them in, they eventually start to drop down my cheeks.

"Papa?"

"God Nova just don't. Don't do that! I told you, I told you to stop that!"

I take another step back while my breath hitches in my throat. I'm trying really hard not to panic. I can't do that to him right now.

"Daddy you're scaring me."

He lets out a humorless laugh. While looking up at me.

"I'm scaring you? Do you even know how much you scare me? Your nightmares your panic attacks, you being here! Nova you... I have to..."

His breath starts to pick up, heavy breaths escape his mouth as he tries to keep himself upright.

The tears are coming uncontrollably now, and I can't contain the sob that escapes my mouth. It causes dad to stop in his panic and look up at me. His eyes stay trained on me for a second and I let out another sob.

"I'm so sorry papa. I didn't want to. Really I... I had to help you. I had to I'm sorry dad. I'm sorry."

A single tear escapes his eye and falls down his face. He quickly wipes it away as he turn to look in another direction. I take a very hesitant step towards him.

"Dad?" I ask, my voice barely a whisper.

He turns to me quickly, making me step back quickly once more.

He reaches for me, but for some reason my instinct takes over and I pull my arm away from his hand. I'm scared. In general. Not of him. I could never be. And in realization of what I just did, Of how he must feel, I completely break into sobs.

Dad hesitantly puts a hand on my shoulder, and I quickly lean into him, completely losing control over myself. I just slumber down onto the ground. Dad quickly sits down next to me and pulls me into his chest. I slightly move along with his quick breath, feeling the vibration trough his chest.