The heir

"Are you saying a vampire killed them?" I asked James.

"I'm not sure, but the blood and the wolfsbane, they know how poisonous it is to us." He said. "Don't worry about that Zoe, we'll find out who it is. The pack demands an answer. You shall address them tomorrow." He said.

Suddenly something that had happened in the morning hit my head. "James. Today, when I turned into a wolf, i- I saw my eyes were red."

He nodded. "I saw them last night. You are the heir, so the next Alpha is you. You are in charge of the pack now."

"Me? But how can I run a pack? I'm just 18." I said.

"Zoe. You can do this, the Alpha blood runs in your family. You must continue and make your family proud. And I am you ever serving beta. I'll help you, don't worry." He said.

"S-so tomorrow I have to tell the whole pack? That- I'm the Alpha?" I asked.

"Yes Zoe. This pack belongs to you now, and we have to avenge your parents death, we'll make this pack stronger and faster than any other pack and we will kill those blood sucking creatures." He said with his hands balled into a fist.

"You should go home and get some rest. I'll send Alice tomorrow." He said keeping a hand on my shoulder.

I drove back home, it was quite late. I couldn't bring myself to sleep. How could I? My parents were gone, killed by vampires, I was the Alpha, and my head was filled with confusion. I sat on the bed thinking what should I do? What will I do? Will I be able to become an Alpha like my parents were or will they just banish me? Different thoughts kept filtering my brain. How will I explain everything to my 15 year old sister? It would be better to not tell her everything.

My brain wasn't settling down. Soon the sun's rays reached my room. I didn't sleep all night. I looked at the clock at 5am. I walked out of my room and walked in the kitchen to eat. I grabbed an apple and drank some water. The clock kept ticking. I went to my parents' room. It seemed dark and lifeless. I ran my hand over the table where dad kept his laptop. Some good memories flooded my brain. But soon enough I was interrupted by a door bell. My senses came back to me. Suddenly it hit me that I had to pick Aubrey. I looked at the clock. 8am. I opened the door revealing a beautiful girl with long blonde hair. Alice. James's mate.

"Alpha." She bowed.

"Just Zoe." I told her and gestured to her to come in.

"There was an announcement made in the whole pack today about the ceremony. About Their New Alpha. The ceremony begins at 10 am. James sent me to get you ready for the event." She said,

"Okay." I mumbled.

She came over and hugged me tight. "Everything will be okay."

I smiled at her.

"Okay." She clapped her hands. "You'll be needing a formal dress."

I led her to my mom's closet and she picked out a short , black dress. Simple and elegant.

"This is perfect." Here she handed it to me.

I kept the dress on my bed and grabbed my car keys.
"I need to pick up Aubrey. I'll be back in 5." I said and closed the door behind me. I drove to Lucy's place and rang the doorbell. Lucy's father , Mr Aron, opened the door.

"Ah, Zoe, nice to see you here." He said. " My condolences are with you."

"Zoe!" I heard Aubrey's voice behind Mr Aron.

She hugged me tight. "Thank you Mr Aron." I said smiling.

"It's alright Zoe. Take care." He said.

Aubrey waved at Lucy and we both made our way to the car. She sat on the passenger seat while gripping her backpack.

"Did you get sleep? " I asked her.

She nodded. And looked up at me. "did you?" She asked.

"Yeah." I lied as I drove back home.

We came back home and Alice greeted us. Aubrey was happy to see her. I quickly went upstairs and brushed my teeth and had a cold shower. I let my hair dry while I wore my mom's dress. It fit perfectly. I thought it would be a little loose but it wasn't. I grabbed black ankle boots and headed downstairs.

Alice came towards me. "You look beautiful. "

"Where's Aubrey?" I asked.

"I told her to change too. She needs to accompany you." She said,

The wooden door clicked open and Aubrey came down in a light blue dress matching her blue eyes that belonged to mom. She had inherited blue eyes, while I had inherited brown from dad. She looked at me and Alice. I came on my knees to be face to face with her.
"You look beautiful." I told her pushing her stray piece hair behind her ear.

She smiled. I hugged her tight.

The doorbell rang and Alice opened the door. It was James.

"Ready to go?" He asked Alice. Alice nodded. I grabbed Aubrey's hand and we walked out of the door into the car.

The car ride was silent, soon we reached. A stage and a podium was set up. Loads of people had gathered. I felt nervous. I didn't know what to say. The car stopped and we walked up to the stage. James switched on the podium mic.

"I know, you have questions. Today all of them will be answered. First of all, our Alpha and Luna are no more."

The whole crowd gasped.

"There was an accident. A very brutal accident. Secondly our pack's new Alpha is their elder daughter. Zoanne Allen. " He looked at me and gestured to me to step forward.

I came closer to the mic.
"I- I" I took a deep breath. Breathe Zoe, breathe. My mom's voice ringed in my ear.
"I am Zoanne Allen, the new Alpha of the bluemoon pack, and I ... I promise to faithfully guide the pack, and make it one of the best packs." The whole crowd was looking at me. Next second the whole crowd bowed.

"CHEERS FOR THE NEW Alpha!" One of the people shouted from the crowd.

"HIP HIP HURRAH!" Another one shouted.

I smiled at them.
"Thank you. For accepting me."

I walked back towards Aubrey.
James talked to the crowd for a few minutes and then we went back to our car.

A few months later.

"Here's the invitation." James handed it to me.

I opened the small envelope.

To
The Alpha
Bluemoon pack

MS Allen this is a request to invite you to the mating ceremony, since you just turned eighteen, it would be great if you could grace the occasion and find yourself a mate.
Timings: 8:30 pm onwards
Clothing: Formal

I crumbled the invitation and threw it in the bin.

"Not attending?" James asked.

"Nope, I have loads of work to do. " I answered as I resumed my work. I didn't want a mate, I was the Alpha of my pack, I had better things to do.