Prologue

Life. Something not a single human has control over. People are brought into this world without a say in the matter. Every single person endures heartache, suffering, love, joy and excitement. Even when life has tossed the world upside down, Regina is a firm believer in knowing that the circumstance is not always as bad as it seems. Everyone will survive as long as they push forward.

A wonderful tactic she always clutches onto when things become a little too much, is wondering what high waters other people maybe drowning in. Nobody ever truly knows what their neighbor is experiencing in their own life. Is the lady at the supermarket with a cart full of wine, hosting a party tonight? Is she a functioning alcoholic? Maybe she never drinks, but is stocking up for when her friends visit. Is she attempting to drown her sorrows from a traumatic event in her past or her present? Maybe the woman is just a good time? There are so many assumptions that can be passed off when people only see the surface of someone else's life.

For instance, divorce, such an ugly word that forms automatic frowns upon any person's face when they hear that simple word, but again, that situation doesn't always have to be so sorrowful.

Being a woman who just turned thirty and has been divorced for four years, is just another frown waiting to happen. Even though, her divorce is not worth the permanent lines that will be embedded around one's mouth. On the contrary, she's never been happier.

~~~~

"Momma!"

"Regina!" Her ex-wife's voice booms through Regina's townhome as their daughter's shoes clunk against the hardwood floors. Her lips morph into a broad smile as she waits for her raven haired beauty to round the corner. "Regina, please kindly explain to your daughter that she has to wear a light jacket to school."

The front door slams shut while Regina rolls her eyes and her daughter makes her appearance. Long, jet black hair sweeps down the middle of her back only being contained by a ruby red headband. Her chestnut colored eyes flick to the ground as she hears her other mother's words.

The soft clicking of heels resonates through the kitchen and she chuckles to herself, still finding the humor in her ex's new wife. Apparently she has a type.

"Good morning, baby girl," Regina coos as her daughter wraps her arms tightly around her waist. She brushes back her dark strands and kisses the top of her head, taking in her wonderful scent of lavender. "Did you have fun with mommy and Ivy?"

"Mmhmm," her daughter grumbles, sending a wave of vibrations against her abdomen.

"Evie, are you fighting with your mother this morning?"

Her daughter tightens her hold around her, expressing how ashamed she is of her actions. Although Evie is an angel, sometimes her smart mouth runs without thinking first, which is expected for a seven-year-old. She and her daughter's other mother only have themselves to blame. Evie's sarcastic tongue could be inherited through Regina's DNA or maybe by her ex's nurture. Either way, Evie didn't seem to stand a chance.

"Your daughter, understands that according to the calendar we are now in spring, which means warmer weather, in which results her into not needing a jacket."

She twists her lips as her ex brushes passed her, placing a quick peck to Regina's cheek before she makes her way toward the kitchen cabinets to retrieve three travel mugs. One for her, one for her wife, Ivy, and one for Regina as well.

"Hello, Regina," Ivy smiles brightly as she lightly squeezes her bicep on her way to the refrigerator as if all three of them live there.

"Hello, Ivy," she politely greets the brunette before turning her attention back to her daughter. "Evie, really? This isn't something you should be arguing about. What is the point? Just go grab a jacket."