Chapter Twenty-Four

"I love you too mom, I'll see you tomorrow."

Emma smiles sadly next to her phone, knowing her mother cannot see the sorrow stealing the life straight from those stunning green eyes. Regina frowns and then turns her back to the blonde, so she can resume preparing the hot chocolates for the children that she promised. The rich aroma of smooth milk chocolate fills the air as she pours the hot beverage into the mugs.

Emma demands for Regina's attention when she hops onto the countertop and swings her feet like a small child. She snatches the can of whipped cream and begins her decorative creation that she insists on every time they have hot chocolates.

"What time will your mom be arriving tomorrow?"

Emma's finger sweeps away the excess whipped cream from the nozzle before she pops the sweet treat into her mouth and Regina orders herself to look away.

"Mmm," she hums around her finger, licking herself squeaky-clean. "I have to pick her up from the airport around noon. I can't believe I forgot about Thanksgiving."

"Well, with everything happening around us, it was bound to happen," she assures her just before an idea strikes. "What if we put these hot chocolates into traveler mugs and take the kids to the park this evening? It's not that cold out and I think you could use some fresh air."

"I-I don't know, Regina. I'm not..."

"Emma, you need to get out of this house. You have been locked away for four days. You need fresh air," she declares and begins retrieving the mugs from the cabinet before her friend has a chance to rebuttal.

"I don't want anyone to see me like this."

"The swelling around your eye has gone down a lot and the bruises on your neck can be easily hidden with a very fashionable scarf. Besides, it's seven o'clock at night, the sun is already going down," she reasons, and Emma slides off the countertop with a heavy sigh, reminding Regina so much of her daughter when she doesn't want to do as she is told either. "Can you get the children ready while I finish these drinks?"

"Of course," she mumbles under her breath like a bratty teenager, forcing Regina's lips to morph into a sly smirk.

"Would you like some coffee to lighten your mood?" She teases, snapping the lids on the children's drinks into place.

"No," Emma grumbles, folding her arms over her chest like the defiant child she is. "I want hot chocolate like everyone else," she pouts in her most innocent voice.

"You are a giant child, you know that?" She quips, but smirks and begins preparing her friend's favorite beverage.

Except, this crazy woman takes her by surprise when she wraps her arms around her from behind and rests her chin upon Regina's shoulder. And she has to close her eyes for a moment to calm the lust blooming in her gut.

"I think you like that I'm a big kid, just another person for you to boss around with your overbearing rules and organic food choices," Emma playfully taunts in her ear, sending a delicious wave of chills to run down her spine.

Regina's cheeks flush with a sizzling heat, but she slowly opens her eyes and focuses on the drink, effectively ignoring the woman who is clinging to her back like a monkey.

"I am not that bossy," she weakly defends, but her voice breaks mid-sentence tossing her believability right out the window.

Emma chuckles softly, eliciting the most adorable sound that Regina hasn't heard fall from those lips in quite some time. Her heart swells immediately with affection, but she shoves all of that aside, knowing this beautiful woman could never be hers.