Chapter Three

"Parents!" The coach calls out as they all step down from the bleachers. "These children have been doing particularly well at the last two practices, so next game we are going to try coach pitch and see how that works. If by the third pitch, we find the child is struggling we will bring the tee back out for that individual child. Any questions?"

All the parents shake their heads in unison while the coach nods curtly before he begins gathering the scattered equipment. Regina scans the children until she finds Henry leaning over a cooler, handing Evie a juice box before he dips in again to grab himself one as well. She cannot possibly suppress her smile at how adorable they are together.

"Watch Henry knock those coach pitches out of the park," Ruby comments through a hearty laugh.

"I hope so," Emma quietly responds, anxiously tucking her thumbs into her back pockets.

Everyone's attention is quickly forced down to Henry  who comes barreling into his mother's torso causing the blonde to stumble back before she wraps her arms around him.

"Ew kid, you're so sweaty!"

"I know! Isn't it great!" Henry enthusiastically agrees.

"Ew, boys are so gross," Evie murmurs, forcing Ruby and Regina to hold back their snickering.

"Mom? Can me and Evie go to the park for a little bit?" Henry questions with a small pout upon his lips, hoping to convince his mother for a little play time.

"I'm sorry, Henry," Regina quickly interrupts, "Ruby and I have to go to work and we have to drop Evie off with Ivy," she explains gently not wanting to upset either child.

"But momma!" Evie hastily complains in her all too familiar whining which drives Regina absolutely mad.

"Hey, Regina," Ruby lightly curls her fingers around her bicep and tugs Regina away from the small group they have formed. "You worked late last night, how about you stay here with Evie for an hour and then drop her off. We'll be fine at the restaurant until you come in. Tilly will be there at noon, right?"

"Yes, she will. I should be in by one."

"Yeah, we will be fine. I'll see you later." Regina hums softly in response as Ruby quickly pecks her cheek. "Alright Eves, momma will stay at the park with you for one hour. I don't want to hear that you gave her a hard time when she says it's time to go though."

"I won't mommy, I promise," Evie vows as she bounces up and down with pure joy pulsating from her little body.

"Okay good. I love you. I'll see you tonight." Ruby bends down and kisses their daughter's forehead before she waves goodbye to Emma and Henry.

"Alright, go on you two," Emma urges, nodding toward the park and lighting that fire beneath the children's feet. Both kids take off running, swinging their arms aggressively as they cut through the warm air.

Regina and Emma take their time following behind their children, strolling along the bright green grass, taking in the mid-morning sun. Regina slides her dark framed sunglasses down her face, blocking the blinding light that has caused her to squint.

"Did you enjoy your day off yesterday?"

Emma hums, a soft sound of contentment before she verbally answers. "I did, thank you."

Regina spots a bench on the outside of the playground with a large willow tree swaying effortlessly from the light breeze while the branches hover over the bench to block out the strong rays of sun.

"How about the bench in the shade?" She offers and Emma nods quickly in agreement.

They slide onto the cool bench and relax against the back, their eyes following their children as they play. Henry spins his baseball cap backwards, so he has a better view of the entire playground and she catches a glimpse of her daughter who is rapidly mimicking her new friend, turning her hat backwards as well.