Chapter Eleven

Two weeks since Henry sprained his ankle and Regina has yet to see either the little boy or his mother. Emma claims she's been exceptionally busy at the hospital with over night shifts and Henry has been in bed healing, so he can maneuver around school. And she does understand, seeing as how busy she and Ruby have been lately as well, so they have been staying in contact through text.

"Where's my big third grader?" Ruby questions as she comes barreling through Regina's front door.

"Mom," Evie groans her protest of embarrassment even though nobody is around to witness the teasing.

"Awe, come on bug, let us have this moment. You're getting too big, too fast," Ivy declares pulling Evie into her arms.

So, Regina takes a moment to really step back and watch as her daughter snuggles close into the other woman. She studies intently the way Ivy's eyes flutter closed and she actually takes in this loving moment between the two of them. Regina's heart swells, knowing she is so damn lucky Ruby brought this woman home and not some snob who mistreats her daughter. Evie adores the woman and Regina wouldn't be surprised if one day she ends up calling Ivy mom as well.

Ruby then steals her daughter, jerking Evie into her arms and smothering her face with playful kisses. Their daughter grunts her protest and tries to pry her mother off, but Ruby is insistent and isn't ready yet to end the moment.

"Come on ladies, we don't want to be late," Regina announces, breaking apart the attack on her thoroughly embarrassed daughter.

She hands her ex and Ivy each a cup of coffee to go and then grabs hers as well before they head off to school. This year though, Evie walks a little further ahead from them and Regina knows she is feeling too old to be seen with her three mothers.

"So, this is third grade?" Ruby comments as they follow behind their daughter's scurrying feet. "We are officially embarrassing?"

"Well, to be fair, you were always embarrassing dear," Regina quips in the most innocent voice she can manage.

"Obviously not that embarrassing if I landed the two hottest brunettes," her ex retorts confidently before consuming a sip of her coffee, batting those long lashes at her wife.

"I knew about your hot ex-wife. This has all been a ploy to sweep Regina off her feet," Ivy teases, but they are all laughing together and enjoying each other's company.

Halfway to school, they pick up Violet, Evie's best friend on the way. Her mom offers a wave from her front door before she disappears back inside and then they all continue their walk.

"Where's Emma? Did you invite her to walk with us?" Ruby suddenly investigates.

"I asked," she trails off, shrugging one shoulder to appear not too affected by Emma's lack of appearance lately. "She didn't respond."

"Is it me or has she been M.I.A, lately?" Ivy chimes in while Regina busies herself with her morning caffeine.

"She's working over night shifts, I'm sure she's having trouble adjusting," she defends as nonchalantly as she can fake, because yes, Emma's absence has been irritating her.

Soon, they are standing in front of the school once again like an entire summer hadn't just passed them by. Children are bouncing energetically in their new school shoes, waiting to catch up with their friends about their summer adventures; camps, sleepovers, pool parties are all tales of summer just waiting to be told.

A teacher off toward the side of the building is holding a sign that states, Third Graders. A few teachers stand by with name tags, waiting patiently for their new students to line up for class.