Chapter Nine

"Happy Birthday to you!"

Evie's cheeks are tinged a light pink as they puff out like a chipmunk while sucking in a deep breath. She pauses for a moment as she thinks about her wish once again. She harshly exhales out her deep breath, blowing out the eight candles scattered across the purple decorated cake.

Her family members and close friends all clap and shout out words of encouragement ultimately deepening the shade painted across her cheeks. They all take turns kissing the top of Evie's head before Regina pulls the cake away to slice pieces for everyone.

"What did you wish for?" Henry interrogates, leaning across the table on his elbows into Evie with a Cheshire Cat like grin stretching deep into his cheeks.

Evie giggles whipping her long raven tresses all around her face. "No! I can't tell, it won't come true!"

"Says who?" Henry demands an answer, but his giggle is too adorable to be taken seriously.

Evie's head bobs left and right as she leans forward, connecting the tips of their noses, forcing both their eyes to double in size. They both are giggling, but neither one is backing down from the challenge.

Regina's eyes flick to Emma, who is watching the playful banter with so much love filling her eyes that she might as well be that emoji with big hearts for eyes. Her heart swells just witnessing how happy Emma is in this moment, but she quickly shakes her head to wipe away those nagging thoughts and focuses on cutting the cake.

"It's a rule, I swear!" Evie professes, but Regina thinks Henry's just interested in teasing her at this point and not truly paying attention to her explanation.

"There's no wish genie that won't let that come true if you tell me."

"There could be!"

"Nuh-uh!" Henry laughs as he wiggles his freckled nose against Evie's.

"Alright, bug, back it up," Ivy sternly says as she gently pulls the two goofballs apart. "And squirt," the younger woman eyes Henry carefully. "It is the law. No wish spoilers."

Regina and Emma chuckle to themselves as she finishes cutting the cake and the blonde kindly passes out the plates.

"What's with the cheap slices Regina?" Ruby heckles as she presses into her side. "You know I love my sugar," she so easily flirts, persuading Regina's eyes to roll at her childlike ex before she adds another slice to her plate. "Thank you."

Her ex presses her ruby-red lips to her cheek and makes a show of smacking her lips playfully, but all Regina's ears are focusing on is an audible gulp that sounds awfully strangled. Brown eyes bounce from Ivy to Emma and she knows it couldn't possibly be the brunette who created such a sound. Ruby's wife is accustomed to the display of affection between them and Regina knows it doesn't bother her the least bit. So, she peeks through her eyelashes at the blonde who has her thumbs tucked securely in her back pockets and she has her answer.

She smirks to nobody but herself, knowing Emma is the culprit of that awkward gulp, so she decides to play with this woman just a little more. She presses her index finger against the cold metal knife, dragging her digit across in a tantalizing manner. Slowly, she scoops the icing off the end and pops her decorated finger into her mouth. She doesn't dare glance at the woman whose eyes are blatantly upon her, no, instead she drags her finger obnoxiously slow out of her mouth with an exaggerated pop at the end.

If she's not mistaken, she hears a whimper that is poorly attempting to be hidden behind a rather fake cough. She fights back her own laughter and busies herself with eating a piece of cake. Her entire body tingles as she keeps her eyes strained on the dessert in front of her because she can feel those intense green eyes studying her every move, criticizing or adoring, she's not sure, so she chooses to ignore Emma. Ignore the beating in her heart. Ignore the longing of delicate skin against her own.