Chapter Four

"Runner!" Regina calls out toward her servers as she's placing the last plate onto the tray.

"Right here, Regina," Ashley announces while shoving her black book back into her apron.

"Thank you, dear. Table twenty," she informs the young blonde who nods eagerly, pulling the tray onto her shoulder.

"Got it!" Ashley balances the heavy tray and rushes out of the kitchen without any further delay like the wonderful employee she is.

Regina double checks the screen and taps away the last table she just sent the food out to. The screen is now vacant from any other orders granting her a moment of peace after a busy rush.

"Marco," she summons her head chef, leaning through the window. The older man dressed in all black turns away from the stove, offering his undivided attention. He leans a little further into the window, so she doesn't have to shout over the ruckus in the back. "I am going to step into my office, please inform me if too many orders come through at once."

"Yes, ma'am." Her chef nods politely and returns to his previous task, knowing the routine all too well by now.

Her restaurant just finished with the lunch rush and she knows, like clockwork every Sunday, the restaurant will be quiet now for the rest of the evening. So, she strolls through the servers station and peeks out onto the floor making sure everything is in order before she disappears into her office.

On her way, she bumps into Ashley coming back from delivering the tray. "Ashley, you are cut for the evening. Start your side work, but don't ignore your tables," she strictly orders knowing how once the servers hear they are finished, they end up neglecting the last of their tables.

"I won't. I promise," she vows before slipping around her and heading back to the floor.

The kitchen is booming with people rushing around; Peter is tossing dishes into the machine, trying to rush through the dirty mess that's quickly piling up. Her sous-chef, Leroy, is attempting to clean up his work station, hating any sort of mess. The bus boys are carrying bins full of dirty items back to Peter, sliding across the slick floor.

She carefully walks back toward her office and shuts the door behind her. She sinks into her chair and groans from the pulsating ache in her feet, so she rolls her ankles to relieve some of the tension building up. She slowly massages the tender areas in her neck and shoulders, inspiring her eyes to slip closed for a brief moment.

The vibrations from her phone buzzing inside of the desk drawer, pops her eyes wide open. She instantly reaches for the drawer thinking Ruby might be on the other end and the message may have to do with Evie. She quickly pulls out the glowing device to find Emma's name highlighting her screen, persuading her lips to curl into a smile from the name alone. She opens up her text message and sinks further back into her chair with a very salacious grin stretching into her cheeks.

"I actually work Tuesday, but I asked Henry and he would love to spend the day at your pool with Evie."

There's a small pain tingling in her cheeks that informs her, she's smiling like an idiot from one message. She is off work on Tuesday's and now that her pool is open in her complex, she had invited Emma and Henry over to swim, since the children have an institute day at school.

Her fingers dance across the screen, itching to speak with the adorable blonde once again.

"That will be great, Evie will be so excited. What time can you drop him off?"

Her heart flutters waiting for the next response to come through and she berates herself for the silliness of it all. They aren't even speaking of anything of importance, but she really seems to enjoy the simple conversation between them. Emma is so very easy to get along with and Regina finds their conversations always so fascinating.