Chapter Six

"It's about time, I feel like I haven't seen you in months!" Regina's dearest friend, Belle, exclaims as she rises from her booth with open arms.

"I know, I apologize," she sighs feeling utterly ashamed, engulfing the smaller brunette into a loving hug and squeezing her tight one last time before releasing her. "It's just the restaurant has been so busy and with school out and all Evie's activities..." the words die on her tongue as she shakes her head and slips into the sticky leather seat across from her friend.

"I understand, but still...you never disappear for this long," Belle implies with a pointed look, demanding an explanation but then Regina's phone buzzes, distracting her once again.

She quickly pulls the device from her purse and checks the screen to discover a message from Emma.

"I know it's late, but I figured you were probably still at the restaurant...not having a life."

Her face contorts painfully as she tries to hide a smile that is rapidly spreading. She rolls her eyes and begins to type a quick response not wanting to be rude toward Belle.

"I am awake. I am actually having a life right now, thank you very much!"

She sends the message and places the phone in her lap, but when she glances back up, intense blue eyes are glaring at her with curiosity.

"What's with that face?"

"Why does everyone keep saying that?" Regina exasperates, gesturing in a circular motion around her face and deadpans, "this is what I look like."

"No, it's not," her best friend declares because she knows her better than anyone. "You usually wear this unamused, disinterested, scowl."

"Are you stating that I have a resting bitch face?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying." Belle nods toward Regina's phone before she wraps her lips around her straw. "Who texted you?"

"Just one of the moms from school. Her son is new this year."

"Is she the one who has been stealing all my time?"

"No," she scoffs just as another message is lighting up the screen. "I haven't even seen her in two weeks."

"Hmm...you know how long it's been since you last saw her?"

"Listen, you are my oldest friend-"

"Since we were fifteen."

"Since we were fifteen," she repeats. "So, I'm going to be honest with you." Belle leans closer into the table, resting her elbows on the hard wooden surface before dropping her chin to her hands. Those crystal blue eyes are shining with amusement as she waits for an explanation. "This woman's name is Emma and her son, Henry, was in Evie's class. At first, I'll admit I found her very attractive, which is completely normal." Belle remains silent, but her dark eyebrows rise to her hairline expressing that she knows there's a lot more to come. "We started speaking casually between drop offs and pick ups and also at T-ball games. I find her very interesting and I may have developed a small...very tiny crush on the woman."

"And..."

"And what?"

"That's it?" Belle drops her hands to the table and glares incredulously. "You have a crush? Come on, Regina, what aren't you telling me?"

"Nothing!" She defends far too quickly. "I'm not too concerned with my feelings. They will go away. Besides, she's straight."

"Is she married?"

"No, her husband passed away four years ago."

"Oh, that's terrible. What happened?"

"I don't know," she murmurs, shrugging mindlessly as her eyes subconsciously drift back down to the phone that's glowing with Emma's name. "She shuts down pretty quickly when he is brought up."