Chapter Ten

The Fourth of July came and went with a blink of an eye. Regina and Ruby found themselves lost in a blur the past month, consumed by their restaurant. They ended up hiring her niece because of how busy they were. Robin grew up around their restaurant, so she was able to jump right in. Even though she has been very professional, Regina is still keeping a watchful eye on her. When Robin thinks her aunts aren't looking, she's extra flirtatious with the assistant, Tilly, and they can't afford to lose the young woman.

They are now in the beginning of August. Mothers are growing anxious for their children to finally be back in school and out of their hair. Children whining and finding every thing on Earth boring.

Regina hasn't even seen Emma in nearly two weeks due to their crazy schedules; from Emma's training and outrageous hours at work she has been experiencing lately, to Regina's time at the shop. Hopefully, this evening at T-ball they will finally see one another, even though Emma has been constantly texting and staying connected with her.

"Henry!" Evie shouts from the bench where all their teammates are sitting, waiting for the game to begin.

Regina cranes her neck to catch a glimpse of her friend, but much to her disappointment, the Uncle Jessie wanna be, is strolling up with Henry by his side. The young boy is laughing at something the man has just said and Jack laughs along while he rests his hand on top of Henry's baseball cap and shakes him playfully.

"Henry!" Her daughter bellows, persuading her friend to run toward the dugout, reminding him that he is in fact late this evening.

The little boy stops in front of the coach to engage in a quick chat before he takes his seat next to Evie. She shoves his shoulder, most likely for being late, but then they both turn their attention to the coach and pay attention.

"Where's Emma?" Regina immediately interrogates as Jack claims the open spot beside her, wafting his clean scent in her direction, like he just stepped out of the shower before arriving.

"Awww, you're not happy to see me?" The man pouts out his full bottom lip while his strong elbow connects playfully with hers, but her upper lip twitches and she reflexively jerks away from his touch.

"I just haven't seen her in awhile."

"Yeah," he chuckles, sweeping his longer strands out of his eyes and to one side. "She's getting that sexy little body back," he comments, persuading her entire face to scrunch in disgust. "I'm just teasing, she had to work tonight."

"That hospital has really been running her ragged lately," she states the obvious, but she's also hoping he will elaborate on the subject.

"Yeah well, she's had to pick up a few extra shifts," and just like that, he snatches up the bait. "I've had some great interviews lately, but nothing I can accept. The pay rate isn't worth my time, you know?" She just stares blankly at him, waiting patiently and allowing this man to continue because she knows him well enough by now to know how much he loves the sound of his own voice. "This is why I was so hesitant to move here, I knew this would be a struggle."

"What is it that you do?"

"I was a journalist back in Boston," his broad hand clasps on the back of his neck, rubbing the area as though it maybe sore. "But I gave up my career for Emma." He smiles in the most sincere way, flashing his perfectly white teeth through his crooked grin.

"Well, can't you accept one of the offers to help Emma out, at least until something better comes along?" She inquires, just as Ivy makes her way back from the concession stand.

Her friend sits down on the other side of her and politely greets Emma's boyfriend, who simply nods in return.

"I could, but then who would be there for Henry during the week when Emma's at work. We agreed, I would hold off until Henry's back in school. Hey where's mommy number three?"