Chapter Eight

Tiny little humans run wildly as their bare feet stomp down in the green grass blades below. Water is spraying all through the air as the children take turns, jumping, twirling and running through the sprinkler. The air is filled with contagious giggles from their high from pure excitement.

"Do you need help with anything?" His deep voice startles her as she was lost in the joy of Evie's eighth birthday party.

"Jack," she breathes out, quickly clearing her thoughts away. "Sure, if you can stock the coolers with juice boxes and water that would be great. The children already went through this cooler."

"It is hot today," he chuckles, "good thing Ruby and Ivy have that awesome sprinkler for their backyard."

Emma's boyfriend bends down and begins ripping open the cardboard box containing the juice pouches for the children. His arms flex, bulging through his overly tight sleeves that are clinging so desperately onto his biceps. And she rolls her eyes at the sight, contemplating if this man ever dresses like he's not in a photo shoot. Maybe he didn't get the memo, she's gay.

"Yes, I wish we could have held her birthday party at my pool, but I share it with my complex building."

"I understand," he replies through a crooked smile that would leave any straight woman drooling.

"So, may I ask how long you and Emma have been together?" She inquires, her stomach instantly turning while the words taste like acid as they fall from her tongue, but she has to know more about this man.

"Emma never mentioned?" He curiously questions, but then he's shaking his head and chuckling at himself. "Doesn't surprise me. We've been together for a year now." The man tosses the last juice box into the cooler and starts tearing through the plastic to pull out some water bottles as well. "I was hesitant moving here without her mother or my family, but I knew she and Henry needed this."

"You had mentioned at the game that Henry's father would be proud," she pauses, allowing the taller man to nod his approval while focusing on his task. "Did you know Killian?"

"Yeah, we were very good friends. She really didn't tell you much, huh? Don't take it personally, Emma is a very closed off woman. I blame that bastard for that, but that's her story to tell," Jack grumbles before he snaps the lid shut to the cooler. He stands tall from his kneeling position and glances around for another task. "Anything else I can help with?"

Regina finishes with placing The Descendants plates for her daughter's themed party, along with the matching napkins and steps back to admire her work.

"I think that's it, thank you."

"You're welcome."

The man lingers beside her as he watches the children run around and maybe he can not detect the uncomfortable tension buzzing between them, but she sure as hell can. So, she clears her throat and decides to interrogate the man even further, since he's playing along so nicely anyways.

"Why did you call Killian a bastard if you were friends with him?" She gently questions, but her eyes remain glued to the children for any spills or accidents from the slippery grass.

"Huh? Oh...no, no. Killian was a great man. She would hate me for saying anything." The man leans in, sending a wave of his strong cologne into her direction and causing her nose to crinkle in distaste. "She was really torn up when Killian passed, they were high school sweethearts. After Killian's untimely death, I looked out for her and Henry. I took care of them. We were strictly friends at first, but I think the more I helped, the stronger our bond became."

"I see," she mutters, not really sure how she feels about their relationship.

Honestly, she hopes he didn't just swoop in when she was vulnerable and grieving and took advantage of the situation. Although, she knows Killian passed away four years ago and she only started dating Jack one year ago, so maybe she was healed by then?