I'm Ready

"Alright, Miss Paulson.. It looks like you are about 8 weeks along.." The doctor smiles softly.

"8 weeks?!" Sarah does the pregnancy math in her head.

"Fuvk!" Sarah mutters under her breath.

"It's Sam's.." Sarah mutters a little louder than she expected.

"Come again?!" Jessica turns to Sarah with a hard glare.

"Jess.." Sarah says in a low, shaky voice, as Jessica can't help but snigger at the situation.

"I am so, so—" Sarah swats the transducer off her stomach, then quickly sits up; nearly knocking over Doctor Banks in the process.

"Save it!" Jessica lifts up her hand; to signal for Sarah to stop talking.

Jessica sighs softly, then shut her eyes; trying not to let her tears fall.

"I don't want the baby to get upset! It is not their fault!" Jessica says; as she leans over, to grab her purse.

"Mrs. Shepard—"

"I am no longer, Mrs. Shepard!" Jessica quickly retorted with fervor.

"I apologize.." Doctor Banks sighs softly.

"Do you want to—"

"You know what?! Suddenly, I don't feel so hot; so, excuse me if I'm a bit on edge!" Jessica scoffs, as she shrugs her shoulders.

"Whatever it is you have to tell me.. It can wait! ... Unlike other people!" Spoke Jessica in a low, albeit vehement voice.

"It didn't happen until after you signed the papers!" Sarah says in a raised voice.

"Heh!" Jessica sniggers.

"Goodbye, Doctor Banks. Thanks for the real compassion," Jessica elicits a small smile.

Jessica left without saying another word.

Sarah sighs, then glances at the door, as a tear falls down her cheek.

"You want to hear your baby's heartbeat?!" Doctor Banks asks; pulling Sarah out of her reverie.

"Hm?!" Sarah asks, as she didn't really hear what he had asked.

"Heh. Would you like to hear your baby's heartbeat?!" Doctor Banks smiles softly.

"Mm. Yeah.. I.. I'd like that.. Thank you." Sarah forces a smile.

"I'm the worst friend in the world!" Sarah thinks to herself.

Instead of feeling jubilant and elated for what's to come; Sarah feels horrible and humiliated for hurting her best friend.

****

Once Jessica had walked out of the room; she lost it.

Jessica was sobbing so uncontrollably; yet, she didn't care about who was watching.

This was her first time to grieve over the baby she had lost. The baby she didn't even know that she was carrying.