Chapter 21 : Protector

"That

"That.... that can't be true.... that's not true... father would've told us, we would've known....why.. wha-"

"Your Grace, I understand your disbelief, but it was kept a secret for you and your family's own good, for the entire of Swiok Frary's safety"

I was too speechless to say anything. Another entire nation hidden away from the map, the Hydrevians are alive, Aedric is a Hydrevian. Papa knew he was alive, Papa protected them, all this time, and we knew nothing. Hydra's exist, up to this day, we've known and seen nothing.

"Why Richard?.... Why.."

"Because if the wrong house knew of their existence, it will end in bloody war" . the Gronzerichs and my uncle being a few. It all makes sense. All of it. Why his name seemed all too familiar. he was named after his Grandfather. The rebellion, there was so much to it, and we barely knew half of it. I feel my knees weaken. I wasn't ready for such truth. I don't know what to do. Francesco could march in any second, as a queen theres something I should do. but my head hurts even more. the dreams I've been having, of a man trying to kill me. Now it all makes sense. I've been dreaming of him. Aedric.

He wasn't trying to kill me, he was saving me. The beast was his Hydra. this is how he was familiar to me. I knew of his existence all along.

"Your grace there's nothing you can and should do, they're more than satisfied with their lives and their nation you have nothing to worry about. Your father's peace treaty has longed enough and it will for as long as you wish for it to be"

"No... there is something I must do, send a raven to Qiyoric, Invite the Hydrevians to Swiok Frary"

"But your Grace I-"

"Do as I said Richard, we're at the brink of war, I need allies, and Strongs ones at that. I don't trust the Grozenrics, and the Hydrevians have the Hydra's. It's all coming together. This needs to happen"

Richard didn't seem at all thrilled with my request. but it isn't a request. it's an order.

"Your Grace, Swiok Frary doesn't need to know of their existence, its too soon. If the Gronzerich's or your un-"

"How would they know? Aedric has been here before. nothing's happened. How would anyone know if they don't know they exist, besides we'll request to keep their identity hidden upon arrival. I'm sure they'd understand."

Richard reluctantly nodded.

I feel hesitant with this too. So many things could result in this decision. it's been years, but I don't think people have forgotten history. But this is something I must do, as a queen. I need to finish what papa has started, what my family has started.

"Any news from Francesco yet?"

"No your Grace."

"Wont be too long I suppose. See to the raven as soon as possible"

"Yes your Grace" Richard nodded and headed back to the council room. I let out a huge sigh. This could mean many things. this could lead to many things, thinking about meeting Aedric again just made my heart feel heavy. I suppose now understand why, I feel a lot less relieved than I did before.

To think, an entire part of history, just hidden away for years. I was just a baby when this happened. And he was just a child. Just 4, and having to go through all this by himself. protecting his siblings, who was much younger than he was. Not even his Hydra's were alive to protect them. I can't even imagine what they must have felt. Grandfather died right after the war, and papa ascended the throne soon after, according to his will. Leaving uncle angry, Grandfather left the small nation Vasilisa for uncle to rule. Guess even grandfather couldn't trust him. 20 years later, here I am. The queen.

Not even Richard knows of the real reason why the rebellion even started, I suppose papa only knew what grandfather told him. I've heard of few people in the court talk about the rebellion, whispers. A prophecy, but no one really knows what the prophecy is even about. we haven't had an oracle or a priest residing in the castle since grandfathers rule. Sometimes i've heard that love was the cause of the rebellion, that King Merek impregnated King Elyot's sister. Although there's no evidence of such. But most people just want to stick to what we've all been told. That king Merek is a sadistic cruel man. Nobody wanted to find evidence, everybody believed it. Theres so many things people don't know, after what I heard, I don't think everything i've heard about the rebellion is true after all. What was the real reason?

"So we're having a visitor?" I snapped out of my train of thought to find Jacob leaned against a pillar a few feet away from me.

"How long have you been there?" I asked him, his face looked relaxed. Not moving a muscle yet his eyes fixated on me.

"Long enough" He responded cooly.

"Were you eavesdropping? All this time?" oh no... this is not good. He is not supposed to know. Not the truth, not yet.

"Can't help it, I am your bodyguard after all, I'm supposed to be around you remember?" How does he seem unbothered? If he heard everything that me and Richard spoke about. Did he hear everything to begin with? I'm getting more and more confused.

"You're not suppose to know about this, no one should"

"Is it?" Jacob moved away from the pillar and started walking directly towards me. His gaze not leaving me. I feel intimidated, yet scared, but also safe. Is this normal? before I could say another word. he was right in front of me. his infamous smug smile plastered on his face. Why is he always trying to tease me? Is it because i'm not strong enough he's just going overboard? because he knows I'll never do anything? and I know I never could. Regardless of him acting like an ass, he's one of the few people in this castle that I hold dear.

"Are you not surprised? at, at the truth? all this time and the Hydrevians still exist!" He let out a small chuckle, and it warmed my heart.

"The past is the past, and I'm not surprised, there's always something hidden away from everybody when it comes to rebellions. and as for the Hydrevians, I had a hunch. And seems like my men was right after all. The Hydra's were real" he shrugged.

oh.

Now I remember, that day Jacob told me. he told me Hydra's could exist. And it's true after all.

"Besides, now I know why you were looking troubled and unfazed, and if that Snake man does anything to harm a hair in your body, I will kill him with my bare hands" Jacob looked deep into my eyes, giving me a small smile.

I knew he was always there for me, but I don't always want to depend on him, I need to find a way to protect myself just as much.

"Jacob, I want you to teach me swordsmanship" he immediately looked surprised as I said this.

"Your grace I-"

"please". "No one would approve of this your grace, not even Richard"

"I don't care! or... I'll learn myself"

"I'll teach you" he replied cooly again, looking into my eyes, giving me reassurance.