Chapter 38: The End.

Isabelle's POV

Isabelle's POV

It was difficult watching him leave. Aedric was my closest friend, he was there for me through everything. I don't know how I could've managed the past few months without seeing him everyday. Every night when I saw Marya in my dreams. Her eyes, as that man shoved a knife right through her. Aedric was there for me. But I couldn't depend on anyone anymore. I've had my time to mourn. And it only kept me from doing my people right. My kingdom needs me. I cannot be weak anymore.

For the first time since the battle, being seated on the throne felt, different. Like I belonged here. Looking at the people standing in front of me, watching me as I speak. As I go through with the kingdoms future plans. This is my life now, and this is what I must do.

Mother is now in charge of the previously dissolved royal council. Having her help me makes it so much easier.

Lena on the other hand, is in charge of training the army. It's what Jacob used to do. She wasn't sure whether it's the duty she should accept but she was proud of it nevertheless. She was taught everything she knows now by him. He would be proud of her too.

"Your grace, that concludes today's business" came in lord Wymarc. I haven't seen him for a while. Can't say I really missed him either. Good. I can finally leave the throne room. I must probably be the only royal to exist that didn't enjoy being seated on the throne. I stood up from the jewel encrusted, golden chair and joined Richard as the two of us walked towards the exit of the castle.

"It's good to see you back again your grace"

"It's good to be back" Was that a lie? Was it good to be back? I still felt too soon. But maybe that feeling will never go away. Maybe I'll never be just ready to be back. I just have to live with it. Live with the fact that lives were lost because of me.

Aedric must be home by now, back with his brothers and his sister. He said he'd be back soon, just like Tristan. They've both got kingdoms to run. Wouldn't be fair of me to expect them to be back so soon.

I still remember, all of us sneaking off to the banquet hall. All five of us. Trying to ease off the tension and the stress from the coming war. It was the first night I got drunk from ale. It was the first time I saw everyone at ease, enjoying themselves. Lena taught Tristan to dance, his drunken self stumbling at his feet. Aedric and Jacob, at each other as always. Competing to see who could remain sober regardless of the amount of drinks they'd have. We had to be quiet, not wanting to wake anyone up. And for that sole reason we couldn't hold ourselves from laughter. In the end we were all stumbling, struggling to get to our chambers. Every single thing making us laugh. Will we ever have that again? Will we all be together again?

Richard and I stopped by the royal garden, watching Lena train our men. Some of them young, training to join the army.

"I still remember how he was with the boys. tough yet caring" Richard broke the silence. Jacob cared for his men. He knew the tribulations of being in an army. He was the most selfless person I've ever met.