Chapter 24 : Allies

"I

"I ..... I don't believe you, i... I don't know what to say...." is all that I could muster up to say to Aedric after what he just told me. Briefly forgetting about the fact that I am King Sager and about these Gods' beasts and what they are to me, I just.... the fact that the rebellion happened because of me. All of the innocent lives lost, an entire house murdered and exiled; all because of my existence. And I find all this out through a fucking stranger I've only met twice? I don't think even Richard knows about this, granted no one does but what are the odds here? is this even the truth? everything inside of me is blindly believing every word he said but there's a part of me thats still conscious about whats happening here. What could he gain from saying all this to me? Why now? why do I know this now? I keep learning more and more of the truth but I end up having more questions than I ever did before.

"I had the same reaction your grace, I know it's hard to believe, it was especially hard for me. finding out years later that I lost my family and my home for nothing.... over an assumption....Not that I'm saying it's your fault, but I suppose there must be a reason behind this all..."

"and that is?"

what could all this mean? what will happen now? papa didn't prepare me for this. I'm not ready for this.

"I... know just about as much as you do... except Meark warned me about another rebellion. He didn't tell me anything else about it. Just that.... it's coming"

Francesco... who else could it be.

"Do you have enemies your grace?" Aedric asked me in a concerned tone

"i.... I suppose... my uncle, Francesco he... he plans on overthrowing me and take the throne to himself"

"well I suppose all this has a purpose now"

"I still don't know what to say, I still don't know what to believe or what not" Aedric leaned in a little closer to me, not too close but not too far from my face. There it is, that warm smile again. He was looking deep into my eyes, and somehow that was all the comfort I need. A blonde strand of hair hanging from his head, swaying in the wind as if it's dancing.

"I don't know If I should believe any of this myself.... and some of it makes sense.... like you....and I'm here now and it's supposed to mean something, and it probably will along the way. what we do know is enough isn't it? and what you need to believe is that I'm here, with you, right now. And whether it's my purpose or I am this Gods' Beasts, you best believe I will always be here, by your side, to protect you. And whatever it is, we'll get through it, together"

it seemed like this is all I needed to hear, enough to believe what I just heard. As absolutely absurd as it sounded. This is all I needed to hear, to make sense of it all. To get through what's happening, what's yet to come.

"I.... I believe you" I managed to give him a smile, probably not a warm smile as his, but I did. and I could see he was glad.

"You can stay as long as you want, I'll have a chamber ready for you and your men"