5. The Move

The next morning was strange for Red, she was usually woken up by Lupin's cold nose nudging her, but now there is no Lupin here. Instead she woke up to the sound of her alarm (she is usually woken up half and hour before it goes off), she sighed as she climbed out of bed. After showering and dressing in jeans, a tee shirt, combat boots, and her coat with the large red hood.

She ate breakfast, her heart breaking again when she didn't have Lupin to feed the leftovers to. Afterwards she placed her bags by the front door before putting her hand gun in her thigh holster and tucking her combat knife into her jeans.

The next hour was spent pacing the room as Red waited anxiously for Jacob to arrive. When she heard the truck park outside her breath caught in her throat. After pulling her hood up she opened the door and was greeted by Jacob, well she saw him leaning against his truck, she was thankful that he was alone.

As Red stepped through the door she carried a bag in each arm. Jacob sighed when he saw her struggling with the heavy bags. "What's in the bags?" He asked as he walked towards her.

"Weapons in the right and clothes in the left" she informed him. Jacob nodded before taking the weapon bag from her, figuring that it would be the heavier one. Red silently thanked him with a smile and a nod before they walked over to the truck and placed the bags in the back.

Red was about to walk around the truck and climb in but stopped when she noticed Jacob opening her bags. He rummaged through the weapon bag first before closing it again, he then opened the clothes bag and searched through it. "What are you looking for?" She asked, blushing slightly when he moved past her underwear in the bag.

"Not sure, just making sure you aren't going to try anything stupid" he shook his head before closing the bag and walking around to the door of the truck.

The pair climbed into the truck and Jacob began to drive away from the cabin. "Red lace, good choice" he commented casually, referring to a pair of underwear that he shifted past during his bag search.

Red never replied, she couldn't find the words to even attempt it, she just turned away from him and stared out the window. The girl had never been more thankful that her hood hides her face as a deep blush form on her cheeks. Jacob glanced at the girl knowing the effect that his words had on her even though he couldn't see her face, he smirked to himself.

His smirk fell and he cursed himself again, he kept trying to rid himself of those ridiculous thoughts. A girl like Red would never be interested in him; she is young, beautiful, kind, and caring. Jacob knew that they where complete opposites, even if she was strong and knew her way around guns she was far too innocent and too pure for a man like him.

It wasn't too long a drive before they pulled up outside of Jacob's place, a well guarded bunker. "Stay in the truck, I will be back soon" he mumbled before climbing out of the truck and entering the bunker. Red watched him leave before looking around, there were armed members of the cult everywhere. Patrolling and guarding. Some glanced at Red to acknowledge her, other glared and snarled, some even nodded as a way to greet her.

Soon Jacob returned with two cultists following behind him, both carrying a large box each. They placed the boxes in the back of the truck and walked away, returning to their duties. Jacob climbed back into the truck and drove away again, this time down dirt roads and trough the trees. "The world is weak. Soft. We have forgotten what it is to be strong" Jacob spoke out of the blue, instantly catching Red's attention.

She turned to face him and saw that his eyes remained on the road in front of him. "You know our heroes used to be gods and now our heroes are godless. Weak, feeble, diseased. We let the weak dictate to the powerful and then we are shocked to find ourselves adrift" he continued to speak without looking at her. His words, his voice, fascinated Red as she focused on what he was saying. He was almost hypnotic to her.

"But history knows the value of sacrifice. Of culling the herd so that it stays strong. Over and over, the lives of the many have outweighed the lives of the few. This is how we survived. Now the lives of the few outweigh the lives of the many. And when a nation that's never known hunger or desperation descends into madness, we will be ready" Jacob continued with his monologue, sounding as if he had spoke it many times before and Red continued to stare at the man. She could see that his words where more personal, spoke of a more personal experience, than he would let it seem.

"That's what you do? You cull the herd, but the herd are people" Red asked the man with slightly widened eyes. She knew that the cult was messed up but she thought that they would accept anyone, not just the strong and sacrifice the weak.

"The weak always see themselves as heroes. No matter their cause. They think as themselves as warriors. They are not warriors, they are children" he nodded, glancing at the girl, certain that he had scared her away this time.

When he glanced at her he didn't expect to see two perfect doe eyes staring back, filled with curiosity and something else...perhaps awe? When he finally looked at her she didn't expect to see some sort of preempted rejection in his eyes. "Even the weak have their role" Red spoke after what seemed like hours, her voice soft and gentle. Jacob hated how kind and nonjudgmental her voice was when she spoke to him, but it also fuelled him in some way.

Jacob tore his attention away from her as he pulled up outside of his home. A large wooden cabin, much larger than Red's, with multiple white trucks out front and armed cultists scattered around the land. Jacob parked right in front of the cabin and climbed out of the truck, this time Red followed him. She grabbed both of her bags from the back while Jacob grabbed one of the large boxes, a cultist grabbed the other. The three of them walked into the cabin, Jacob and the cultist disappearing into a storage room leaving the lost girl in the living room.

She watched the cultist leave the cabin and Jacob walked back into the room, right up to Red. "I will take this, don't want you getting any ideas" he hummed as he took her weapons bag from her. She didn't argue, it was a reasonable concern.

Jacob placed the bag down and led the girl upstairs. He pushed open a wooden door and allowed her to walk in. The room was clean and decorated in dark wood furniture, a bed with dark red sheets, wooden bed side tables, dresser and a closet, a full body mirror in the corner and a large window hidden behind red curtains. "It's perfect, thank you" Red thanked the soldier as she placed her bag of clothes down on the bed, continuing to admire her new room.

Jacob was taken back a little when she thanked him. Yes, anyone else would expect a 'thank you' after allowing somebody to move in with them and give them their own fully decorated room, but Jacob was just anyone. No, Jacob was feared and he was fucking terrifying just asked anyone who knew who is was. Jacob Seed is the head of security at Eden's Gate, the strongest member of the community even if some claim it to be Joseph, he was rightly feared. But Red didn't fear him, she could be intimidated by him but that is a very different thing. Jacob couldn't believe that she wasn't scared of him and it would take some time for him to get used to her natural kindness and gentleness.