28. Surreal

Jacob and Rieka showered before getting dressed. Jacob sat Rieka down at the kitchen table and began to make their breakfast, Rieka giggled slightly at his behaviour. She could tell that he was excited and she was just thrilled that he was happy about this.

He placed their breakfasts down on the table and sat opposite her. "Joseph called when you were in the shower, he heard about the Deputy and he said that he is content with the way everything happened. He wants the family to meet for Friday dinner" The soldier told her. "Do you want to tell them about the baby?" he asked as they eat.

Sudden guilt washed over Rieka as she swallowed her food. "I-erm-I...Joseph and Faith already know..." she told him, averting his gaze,

"Rieka look at me" he ordered, she sighed before lifting her head up and making eye contact. "How?" he asked.

"When I first thought that I was pregnant...I was scared. Everyone was so busy and I didn't know how you would react. I went to Joseph for advice, Faith was there while she was recovering so she found out too" Rieka sighed. "I really am sorry Jacob, I should have come to you first" she smiled sadly.

"Don't be sorry, Lamb. I'm just glad that you had somebody to go to...I am so god-damn proud of you" Jacob assured her, reaching across the table and grabbed her hand.

"We can still tell John" Rieka smiled brightly at him.

"We will tell him on Friday" he nodded, squeezing her hand.

"This is really happening...we are having a baby" Rieka smiled a little, the reality of the situation hitting her.

"We are" he nodded. Jacob wasn't great at showing his emotions but he was doing much better now, especially this morning. Hearing that Rieka was carrying his child is possibly the best thing that has ever happened to him, other than reuniting with his brothers and meeting Rieka.

-----

Jacob drove their truck towards Joseph's house with Rieka in the passenger seat. They were having their first family meal since the Deputy died. They pulled up outside of the house and climbed out of the truck, walking up to the front door. They walked straight in without knocking, Rieka slipped her coat off and hung it up before walking with Jacob into the living room where the siblings were sitting.

The three Seeds stood up and walked over to the pair. Faith hugged Rieka 'hello. The Joseph pulled her towards him, placing his forehead on hers. "You did the right thing, thank you for protecting our family" he thanked her quietly before pulling away and stepping back.

John then hugged the woman. "Thank you for saving my brother's life" he thanked her in a whisper, making sure that Jacob didn't hear him. Rieka smiled at him as they pulled away, as if to say 'you're welcome'.

There was a moment of silence as the family looked at each other. It was the first time they had all got together since Hope County became safe for them again and it was almost surreal. Most of them were certain that they would die, not Joseph of course since God told him exactly how this would happen.

"I will go and get us some drinks" John smiled before disappearing into the kitchen.

The others took their seats in the living room. Joseph on the armchair, Faith and Jacob on the sofa with Rieka sitting on his knee, leaving a place between Faith and Jacob for John to sit. John returned with a tray that carried five glasses of wine. He thought that this was a suitable time to celebrate.

He began to hand them out but when he held one out to Rieka, both her and Jacob paused and looked at each other for a moment. Jacob nodded and she smiled. "I can't drink at the moment" she turned back to John with a smile. Joseph and Faith both smiled when they realised that Rieka had told Jacob.

"Oh, why?" John asked, raising an eyebrow and he placed the glass back on the tray.

Jacob tightened his grip around Rieka, pressing his fingers into her side in a comfortable way. "Because...I'm pregnant" she smiled brightly at John.

"You two are having a baby?" John asked, a small smile tugging at his lips, the couple nodded. "I'm going to be an uncle" he smiled like a child before turning to Joseph and Faith, who were smiling but didn't look shocked. "Was I the only one who didn't know?" he asked, frowning slightly.

Joseph chuckled slightly and nodded his head, Rieka sent John an apologetic smile. "I will get you some water instead" John grumbled, pretending to be offended.

"John" Jacob called out and his brother turned to him. "Grab me a beer" the Soldier smirked as he placed the glass of wine back on John's tray. John grumbled again as he walked back into the kitchen.

"When did she tell you?" Faith asked Jacob with her usual soft smile. The wounds on her face had completely healed now.

"The morning after we took down the Deputy" Jacob told her blankly, he isn't one for emotional conversations.

"How romantic" John joked as he walked back into the room, handing Rieka a glass of water and Jacob his bottle of beer.

"It seemed like the right time" Rieka smiled but rolled her eyes as she and Jacob took their drinks from John. The youngest brother laughed softly before sitting down in between Jacob and Faith.

"Have you been to see a doctor yet?" John asked curiously. Rieka was glad that all of the siblings were taking an interest.

"Not yet, we haven't really had the time" she shook her head.

"Don't worry about it, I will get you the best doctor in Montana" John assured her.

"Thank you John" Rieka smiled, pleasantly surprised by the offer.

"After everything you have done around here, it's the least I can do" he smiled and sipped from his glass.

"Can I just say how grateful I am for having all of you" Rieka laughed awkwardly. "I don't know where I would be if I hadn't met Jacob, and I am so thankful that you accepted me into your family" she blushed, feeling a little embarrassed by having all eyes on her.

"We are thankful for you as well Rieka. You have brought so much joy into Jacob's life. We all love you, you are one of us" Joseph smiled at her.

Jacob rolled his eyes at the emotional moment but didn't say anything. He just ran his hand up and down Red's waist soothingly, she smiled at him before leaning into him. She let out a content sigh.

The family dinner went by smoothly just like they used to, talking about Joseph's last sermon, about the lighter sides of business, but the conversation was mainly about the baby. John insisted that they name their baby 'John', when asked what if it was a girl, he replied "John can be a middle name, I don't know. I like the name John". Joseph suggested naming the child after something biblical. Jacob thankfully stepped in and told them that they would decide the name of the child and that it was too soon to think about that anyway.

(A/N: Any baby name suggestions? Boy or girl :) !!)