34. Baby Steps

The next milestone would be the children's first steps, the twins both started walking on the same day and where on the early end of average walking age. Rieka was sitting in the living room of the cabin with Faith.

"I don't know. I'm just tired, Jacob has been so busy lately" Rieka sighed, taking a sip of her tea.

"Really? I thought that things would be less hectic now" Faith furrowed her brow. She was glad that things had turned out as well as they did and was glad that she had more free time now, she wondered why Jacob was so busy. Joseph never expressed any concerns about the mountains that would increase the amount of duties that Jacob has.

"So did I. I work less now but I don't see any reason for him to be working more than usual" Rieka hummed, trying to think of a valid excuse for him being so busy.

"I'm sure he has his reasons" Faith assured Rieka and looked down at the twins playing on the floor. "How are the little angels doing?" she asked.

"They are trying to speak more often, sometimes we can even understand them" Rieka chuckled. "And they keep trying to walk but haven't got the hang of it yet" she told her.

"They are smart, they will get it" Faith smiled and stroked Julian's thin hair. The little boy gripped the bottom of Faith's dress and shakily stood up, only to fall back down. He wasn't fazed though, he just laughed to himself before going back to playing with his sister.

-----

Later that evening Jacob returned home from his evening rounds. He walked into the living room and saw his pups crawling around on the floor and playing with their toys. "Dada" Julian smiled and the two twins turned their attention to him.

Rieka stepped into the room with a smile. "You're late" she teased and walked over to him.

"Sorry Lamb, got held up" he apologised and wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her into his chest and kissing her.

"They are determined to walk" Rieka laughed as she pulled away from him, resting her hands on his chest.

"Come on" Jacob spoke before guiding Rieka into the centre of the room. He sat her down on the floor and she crossed her legs, looking up at him curiously. He then sat down a few feet away from her.

The twins giggled and crawled over to their parents. Abigail crawled into Jacob's lap and Julian crawled into Rieka's lap. "Here, and pass me Julian's bear" Jacob ordered.

Jacob threw Abigail's favourite stuffed wolf at Rieka, who caught it with ease and threw him Julian's favourite stuffed bear. Jacob set Abigail on her feet and pointed at her mother. Rieka cooed and encouraged the little girl to move towards her. Her face lit up at the sight of her little wolf and she took her first step. The parents watched with pride in their eyes as Abigail walked towards Rieka, unstable on her feet but still doing very well.

Once she reached her mother, she was lifted up and received a kiss on the cheek. Julian watched the praise that his sister was getting and giggled. Rieka placed Abigail down on her lap and then helped Julian to his feet. He copied his sister's actions and shakily walked over to Jacob. Just as he reached his father's knee, Julian fell forward but was caught in a pair of large hands. He looked up and saw his father's smiling face. Jacob ruffled his hair before handing him the stuffed bear.

"All it took was a little motivation" Jacob chuckled slightly as the twins went back to playing, not understanding the pride that they just gave their parents.

-----

After putting the twins to bed, Jacob and Rieka relaxed in the living room. Jacob sat on the end of the sofa while Rieka lay across it with her head in his lap, looking up at him and her hands folded on her stomach. "Jacob?" Rieka asked and he hummed, telling her to continue. "Why have you been so busy lately?" She asked curiously.

"Nothing to worry about. My men seemed to have less motivation for training since the Deputy died, I am just whipping them back into shape" Jacob explained, glancing down at her face.

"If anyone can get them back into shape, it's you" Rieka smiled sweetly. Jacob smirked slightly combing his fingers through her long hair once.

His face softened for a moment as he studied her face. Rieka let out a soft laugh, Jacob only admired her face more. Jacob raised an eyebrow, silently asking her what she was laughing about. "You keep looking at me like that recently" she mentioned and laughed softly again, slowly sitting up and turning to Jacob. "Why? Are you missing me?" she asked teasingly as she knelt on the sofa beside him.

"I'm always missing you" Jacob grumbled and placed his hand on her waist. "But no, I am just thinking" he told her.

"You said that last time I asked. Obviously you have something on your mind, what is it?" Rieka asked before adjusting herself so that she was straddling his lap and draping her arms around his neck.

"Don't worry about it. I promise that it is nothing bad and that you will find out soon enough" he assured her, holding her by her waist.

Rieka tilted her head at him before shaking her head and dropping the topic. Instead, she lent into him and kissed him deeply. Jacob always tasted like cheap beer and something that was just so...Jacob. While Rieka always tasted so sweet and usually minty, just so Rieka. It was just another thing that they enjoyed about each other.

PLEASE READ-

Looking for some inspiration and ideas...

IMPORTANT- this is NOT the end and I still have somethings planned for Jacob and Rieka, but I don't really know where else this story can go after what I have already planned. I was wondering if there was any suggestions or anything. Maybe for later chapters? Maybe a sequel?

Just suggestions in general are appreciated.

P.S. I am thinking about writing a Joseph Seed or a John Seed story. Anyone interested in those? Once again, all suggestions are welcomed!

Thank you all so much for your support and encouragement, it means a lot! :)