13. Joseph's Visit

Jacob lay on his back while Rieka curled into his side with her head on his chest and an arm draped over his waist. His body was firm but had a slight softness to him that came with age, she found herself quite liking the feeling. Jacob had a protective arm around her, holding her against his body. They lay beside each other silently, just enjoying the moment, as they lay bare together. It didn't take long for Rieka to fall asleep with a smile on her face, Jacob fell asleep not too long afterwards. And he had a completely undisturbed sleep, for the first time in a long time.

The next morning Jacob woke up first and got dressed while Rieka slept, snoring softly. As he was about to leave the room the sleeping girl woke up. "Are we heading out? Give me a minute to get ready and-" she started speaking, yawning and stretching sleepily.

"Take the day off, you had a long night" Jacob shook his head as he walked back over to her and pushed her down onto the bed. She smiled adorably as she lightly grabbed his dog tags and pulled him down into a kiss. He couldn't help but chuckle at her behaviour slightly, he ruffled her hair fondly before heading out on his morning rounds.

Rieka woke up a little later on and showered before getting dressed. After getting dressed she looked in the mirror, smiling at the fact that she managed to cover all of the marks that Jacob had left on her neck. She hummed as she curiously pulled down the collar of her shirt and saw the bruised bite mark that had dried blood on the teeth marks. She traced it carefully with her fingers and smiled as she thought back to last night. She was officially Jacob's now, and these marks proved it. Something about the way Jacob can be so animalistic and primal awakens something within Rieka. She knows that she is nothing like that but she loves that he is like that, she adores the way he knows that he is in control and the way he uses his power. Both physically and mentally. Jacob is so much more than a physical being, Rieka knows that he is extremely intelligent and it only makes her admire him more.

She snapped her self out of her thoughts as she fixed the collar of her shirt to cover the bite mark, and every other mark he left. The girl walked down stairs and put on her boots, since they where randomly thrown around the living room from last night. She was about to sit down but she heard a knock on the door and sighed. She assumed that it would be some cultist looking for Jacob but when she opened the door she was greeted by the smiling face of Joseph.

"Father?" Rieka asked with wide eyes, he was the last person that she expected to see when she opened the door.

"Hello Rieka, somebody told me that you where at home today. And please call me Joseph" he smiled warmly, he always seemed so friendly and welcoming.

"Yes, Jacob gave me the day off" the woman nodded.

"Why is that?" Joseph asked and raised an eyebrow. Obviously Rieka wasn't going to tell him the real reason.

"No special reason, he just thought that I wouldn't be required today" Rieka answered as casually as possible, they then fell into a slightly uncomfortable silence. "Would you like you come in?" she asked and stepped to the side.

"I would like that very much, thank you" Joseph smiled and nodded before stepping into the cabin. They both walked into the living room, after she shut the front door.

"Would you like a drink?" She offered as the Father sat on the sofa.

"Just some water thank you" he smiled and she hurried into the kitchen, wishing that Jacob was here as she poured his brother a glass of water.

Rieka walked back into the living room and handed Joseph the glass of water, he thanked her as she sat on the other end of the sofa. "Why did you want to visit me anyway?" she asked, a little nervous.

"I wanted to speak to you about my brother, Jacob" Joseph explained vaguely, not helping Rieka's nerves.

"Oh, alright. Why?" she asked, shifting a little awkwardly in her seat.

"I know that he can seem a little...rough around the edges" Joseph paused for a moment as he thought of the right words to say. "Jacob is a fighter, a soldier. He fought our parents. He fought the government. He fights me. But mostly, he fights himself. The demons that he brought home from the war consumed him. He thinks he is a weapon without a purpose. That he is a warrior without a legacy" he spoke sadly, surprising Rieka slightly.

"He told me about the war...about Miller. He told me about his PTSD" she told the Father, a sad look in her eyes.

"Jacob is a fighter, he is a protector. He was always protecting us and he still is. We didn't have an easy childhood. Before we were separated, our parents weren't good people. They started beating John, he was the youngest and the easiest victim. But Jacob was strong and determined, it tortured him to see John cry and howl after being beaten. The anger that Jacob felt mutated into a fierce hate" Joseph told his story and Rieka fell quiet, she didn't know anything about the brothers' pasts.

"I had no idea...why are you telling me this?" she asked, shaking her head.

"Jacob can be a very closed book, you deserve to know who he is before you dedicate yourself to him" the Father said as if it was obvious but Rieka froze slightly. What did that mean?

"Dedicate myself to him?" she asked, making Joseph look at her slightly confused.

"I meant no harm or offence, my child. I simply wish you and my brother the best of luck" he smiled.

"It's fine" She assured him as Joseph stood up. "I'm just not sure what you mean" she commented shyly.

"My brother isn't exactly a happy man, I believe that you would be good for him" he smiled and nodded and headed towards the door, Rieka followed him out.

They stopped when they reached the front door. "I will see you later, child" Joseph placed his hands on her shoulders and pulled her towards him, touching his forehead to hers. As he pulled away he squeezed her shoulders slightly, causing her shirt to shift. He paused when he spotted a light purple mark on her neck that was peering through the make up. "What is this, my child?" he asked calmly and grazed his thumb over the mark.

"It's just a bruise, nothing to worry about. It should be gone in a few days" she smiled, trying to contain her blush.

Joseph simply nodded, but he didn't look convinced, before turning and walking out of the cabin. Rieka was about to shut the door but Joseph turned back to her. "I also wanted to invite you and Jacob to church this Sunday, John and Faith will be coming and it's only right that the whole family if there" he smiled, she nodded and smiled back before he walked away again. Rieka let out a quiet sigh as she shut the door, she forgot how strangely intense Joseph can be even when he sounds so calm and collected.

She returned to the living room, cleaning up the Father's untouched glass of water before sitting down. Rieka did some work around the house and read a book that she found in the living room about human psychology. Just waiting for Jacob to come home.