29. Ultrasound

The Project at Eden's Gate had rebuilt what the Deputy had destroyed and thing were running smoothly again. Even though this news thrilled the Seeds, the thing exciting them the most is that Rieka is in her second trimester. She was finally going to the doctor to see the gender of the child.

John had kept his promise, getting the best doctor in Montana for Rieka but he had only flew into Hope County two days ago so this would be their first appointment with him. They had a few appointments with a local doctor and the couple was assured that the baby was perfectly healthy.

Jacob walked with Rieka toward the truck before helping her into the passenger seat. He then walked around and climbed into the driver's seat. Even though Jacob's siblings were excited for the child to come, John and Faith even begging to come to every appointment, Joseph had convinced them to calm down and to allow Jacob and Rieka to do this as a couple.

"What do you want it to be?" Rieka asked with a smile as she rubbed her round belly and Jacob drove away from the cabin.

"Honestly, I don't care. Our pup is going to be strong and that's all that matters" he smiled back at her before turning his attention back to the road.

They eventually pulled up outside of the office that their new doctor was using during his time her, how could he refuse when John was willing to pay for it all? Jacob helped Rieka out of the truck and they walk into the building.

"Ah, you must be Mr and Mrs Seed" a man in a white doctor's coat walked over to them.

Rieka blushed and opened her mouth to corrected him but Jacob spoke first. "That's us" he nodded, subtly smirking when Rieka got flustered. Jacob loved how she still got flustered after all of their time together.

"I am Doctor Dorian, you brother John hired me" he introduced himself. Jacob nodded, not being a fan of small talk. The doctor was obviously intimidated by Jacob, and had every reason to be, and just smiled before guiding them into another room where the ultrasound equipment was set up beside a bed.

"Lie down and make yourself comfortable. I am just going to grab your file, I will be back in a moment" Dorian smiled before leaving them in the room.

"Nervous?" Jacob asked as he assisted the small woman onto the bed and helped her get comfortable.

"A little...I know that everything is alright but I still worry" she smiled shyly, taking his hand in hers.

"Little Red, it's perfectly natural to worry but everything will be fine" the Soldier assured her before kissing her forehead. He then pulled up a chair beside the bed and sat down, taking her hand in his again.

The doctor returned with a file in hand, he read threw it quickly as he crossed the room. He closed the file and placed it down as he stood on the other side of the bed to Jacob, smiling down at Rieka. "Everything seems fine so we will just begin the ultrasound" he smiled before setting up the equipment.

After setting everything up the doctor had the image on the screen which was turned away from Rieka and Jacob at the moment. Dorian furrowed his brow as he examined the screen before checking the file again. "If everything alright?" Rieka asked nervous as she noticed the doctor's confusion, tightening her grip on Jacob's hand.

"Yes, don't worry. The babies are perfectly fine" he smiled at the screen as he placed the file down again.

"...b-babies?" Rieka asked, her eyes widened. Surely the doctor had misspoke...

"Yes. Rieka, Jacob, you are having twins" the doctor smiled and turned the monitor to face them.

"Twins? How do you miss an entire child?" Jacob asked, his face stone cold. Not showing any emotion.

"W-well, Mr Seed. It is actually rather common for doctors to miss the second child in the first few ultrasounds, but they both can be seen clearly now" the doctor assured him, swallowing the lump in his throat.

"I can see that" Jacob rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to the screen. Rieka squeezed his hand gently and Jacob returned the gesture to tell her that he was alright.

"Would you like to know their genders?" Dorian asked, avoiding looking at Jacob.

The couple looked at each other, silently communicating before nodding. They had already decided that they wanted to know the gender but they were both double checking with each other. They both nodded at each other before turning and nodding at the doctor.

"Well. This one-" the doctor pointed at one of the figures on the screen "-is a boy and this one-" he pointed at the other figure "-is a girl" he smiled at them.

Dorian turned back to the couple before smiling at them, offering them some time alone before leaving the room and shutting the door behind him.

"We are having a son and a daughter" Rieka smiled, looking up at Jacob who had a glint in his eyes.

Jacob seemed speechless, which rarely happens. "Thank you" he smiled down at her.

"For what?" she asked, laughing a little as she raised an eyebrow at the man.

"For staying. For giving me two children. For giving me a chance to make my life mean something" he thanked her, leaning down and kissing her gently.

"That wasn't me Jacob, it was us. Your life had always meant something, to so many people, I am glad that you finally see that" she smiled back at him, stroking his cheek gently.

"Our children are going to be beautiful, caring, and generous. Just like you" Jacob told her with affection in his eyes.

"And they are going to be brave, strong, and selfless. Just like you" she returned the look of affection.

The moment was ruined by doctor Dorian walking into the room but they let it slide. Once they returned home they called Joseph to tell him the exciting news, he said that God truly was working in their favor. Then they called John and told him, he said that he made the right call when he hired Doctor Dorian and was extremely excited to have both a future niece and a future nephew. Finally they called Faith, she was happy for them and told them about how excited she was to babysit their children.

The whole family, damn the whole flock, knew that this would be the start if something new and beautiful.

Joseph had made the announcement to his flock once Rieka's baby bump began to show and there would be no hiding it. She was bombarded with congratulations and gifts from the flock, which they are keeping in the storage room for future use. Everyone in Hope County was excited for the birth of the Soldier's and the Healer's child, surely they would be extraordinary.

(A/N: Baby names haven't been chosen yet so suggestions are still open!)