16. The Lord Giveth

As Jacob and Rieka drove away from the church, she couldn't help but notice how deep in thought Jacob seemed to be. He was just staring out of the window, keeping his eyes on the road, and not making a sound. Something wasn't right and she knew it. Every now and then he would furrow his brow or his grip on the steering wheel would tighten until his knuckles turned white.

She decided against saying anything about it in the car, instead she just wondered what could be making him act like that. Was it something to do with his conversation with Joseph before they left the church?

They drove in silence and when they stopped outside of the cabin Jacob climbed out of the truck and slammed the door shut. Rieka flinched slightly before climbing out of the truck and cautiously following him. As she walked into the cabin she slipped her coat off and hung it up before following Jacob to find him opening a beer in the kitchen. "Jacob? Are you alright?" she asked quietly, walking towards him.

"I'm fine" he growled slightly as he turned away from her and took a gulp of his beer.

Rieka knew that it was a bad idea but she couldn't stand to see him like this. She took a breath before walking over to him quietly, gently touching his shoulder and freezing when he tensed. She was a little hurt that he would tense like that under her touch, after everything that's happened between them. "Jacob...you can tell me anything. I won't judge you or mention it again, just don't close yourself off from me" her words came out as pleading, begging him to talk to her.

"Rieka...I am fine" he warned, shaking her hand off of his shoulder. He closed his eyes as he tried to contain his frustration, not that Rieka could see that.

"Jacob, please-" she began to beg again but was interrupted abruptly.

"Just leave it Rieka! It's got nothing to do with you!" he turned to her and practically shouted in her face. Red stood in shock, looking up at the man with wide eyes. But these weren't the eyes that Jacob loved, they were clouded with fear and hurt. It was his fault. "Just go" he mumbled and shook his head, turning away from her.

Rieka nodded, feeling the tears brimming in her eyes as she turned and hurried out of the room. She went up to her bedroom and sat on the end of the bed. She blinked away her tears, she can't cry, she has to be strong. She flinched slightly when she heard the front door slam shut and the sound of a truck driving away. She knew that Jacob had left, but she didn't know where to or for how long.

Jacob had no destination in mind as he climbed into his truck and sped away from the cabin. He just drove, thinking about the scared and hurt look in Rieka's eyes. He cursed himself for it. Slamming his fist down on his steering wheel in frustration before thinking back to what put him in such a bad mood in the first place.

Flashback-

Jacob and Joseph walked out of the church after the service, leaving Red with John and Faith. They were family and Jacob trusted them to treat her well, especially when he was only outside. As the church doors closed Joseph took Jacob for a walk around the compound, they weren't interrupted by any of his flock as they knew he was busy when Jacob was by his side. "Rieka is a lovely addition to the family" Joseph mentioned, finding the best way to bring the subject up.

"I'm glad that you agree with me" Jacob nodded, trying to be as blank about it as possible.

"Brother, you do not need to put on an act with me" Joseph chuckled and shook his head. "I can see that you care about her, we all can. John's question was valid, what is your relationship with Rieka?" he asked, already knowing the answer. Probably more than Jacob did...

"She is my medic, a friend, a companion" Jacob shrugged before looking at his brother's tired and unamused expression. "What do you want me to say Joseph?" he asked, sighing at his younger brother.