8. You're mine

The next morning rolled around, Jacob and Red didn't talk to each other after 'the incident' as Jacob calls it. Red didn't know what to think of the kiss, especially since afterwards Jacob just silently hurried out of the room and hid away in his bedroom. Jacob spent the whole night laying on his bed regretting kissing the poor girl. He didn't regret it because he didn't want her or because he thought that he made a mistake, he regretted it because she made a mistake by kissing him back. She was so pure and innocent, she deserves so much better than him and he would just taint her and hurt her. She was young and has so many opportunities to get out of this place and move on with her life, he wasn't going to be the reason that she stays.

Red was woken up by the sun coming through the window, she showered and dressed before walking downstairs. She hoped to see Jacob before he left for his morning rounds but she looked out the window and saw that his truck was already gone. She shook off her disappointment and decided to make breakfast for him like she did her first morning here. After cooking she sat down at the table and ate hers, checking the time every minute.

It was an hour later than Jacob came home last time and he still hadn't arrived. His food went cold a while ago so Red decided to just throw it away and wash up. She sat on the sofa with a beer, wondering where Jacob was. She sighed and wiped her face with her hand, she felt so stupid. She let herself care for a man who couldn't care for her, she felt even more stupid for still caring for him.

Jacob went and did his morning rounds like he does everyday but this time he didn't return to the cabin before sending his men through the obstacle course and putting them through the usual daily exercises. After the training he went straight to the cages to begin with some classical condition, brain washing people to fight for the cult, and then went on his evening rounds. Anything to get his mind off of Red.

The sun had already set when Jacob pulled up outside of the cabin, hoping that Red would've already gone to bed. He didn't expect to see her sleeping in a uncomfortable looking position on the sofa. Jacob sighed as he shut the door behind him, he wondered what she did all day. Was she just waiting for him?

He lifted her up with ease, carrying her bridal style to her bedroom. As he opened the bedroom door Red wrapped her arms around his neck. "I was worried about you" she mumbled sleepily into the crook of his neck.

"There is nothing to worry about" he assured her as he lay her on the bed.

"Because you are strong?" Red asked with a smile as she lay on her side to face him, letting a tired chuckle escape her lips.

"Yeah, exactly" he shook his head, slightly amused by her sleepy and adorable state.

"About last night" Red mumbled and lazily sat up. Jacob shushed her and pushed her shoulders down so that she would lay on the bed again but she just swatted his hands away and sat up anyway. "Don't worry about it, I don't know what you are thinking but it doesn't have to happen again. I'm not going to get all clingy and expect anything from you. It is what it is" she shrugged. Sure, Red liked Jacob and, yes, she was a little disappointed that the kiss had meant nothing to him. However, she was more concerned about being there for him and caring for him. It's what she wanted to do since she stitched up his arm back at her cabin.

Jacob glanced up and down her body, looking back to those large doe eyes that he would kill to protect. He brushed his hand over her forehead to push the hair out of his face, he then held the side of her skull protectively and possessively. "You are mine. No matter what happens. Not matter where I go or where you go. No matter where you end up or who you end up with, you are mine Little Red" he stated, stern but sincere. Jacob curled his fingers in her soft hair for a moment before leaving the room.

Most people would be annoyed and confused by the way Jacob had just acted, and Red was the latter. But she was also pleased. He cared about her just like she cared about him. She was his no matter what and she couldn't be happier about it.