7

Jermaine

The chicken pops in the pan as I fry it on the stove. The loud beeping noise from the oven let's me know that the mac and cheese is done. I pull out the small pan and set it on the counter on top of a oven mitt. I set the last piece of chicken on the plate and covered it with the napkin. I clean up all of the leftover dishes then I set the table for dinner.

I hear the front door open and close. Right on time.

"Mommy!" Lamarr's little footsteps run to her.

"Hey." I hear her say softly. I walk over to meet her. She has a shaken look on her face.

"Hey babygirl you okay?" I ask her. She nods once and holds out a grocery bag for me to take.

"Can you help with these?" She asks in the same low voice. I nod.

"Yeah I'll get them all. Just fix Marr's plate for me." I say. She nods once and walks past me into the kitchen, Lamarr follows her. Seems like something happened at the store. But she would tell me.

I get all of the groceries and put them away. When I'm done I fix myself a plate and join my family for dinner. Lamarr feeds himself as he sits in his high chair, Kehlani sits beside him and picks at her food.

"You ight?" I ask her. She nods.

Throughout dinner she stays quiet. Once Kehlani and Lamarr both finish dinner she takes him to get bathed and put to bed. I clean up the table and the kitchen before going up to our room. I check in on Lamarr and kiss him goodnight.

As I walk into our room I see Keh brushing her teeth in the mirror. She walks around the room with the toothbrush in her mouth trying to find some clothes. She doesn't say anything to me the whole time, not even looking at me. I go to sit on the bed.

"Baby what's wrong?" I ask her. She shakes her head at me and continues to walks into the bathroom to put her toothbrush away. When she comes back into the room I catch her by her waste and turn her towards me. "Talk to me, you've been quiet all night."

She sighs and holds her hands over her face.

"There was a note."

"What note?"

"Yeah it was under my windshield wiper, I saw it when I came out the store. It said 'I'm coming for you', here." She pulls out the note from her pocket and lets me see it.

"So." Someone probably tryna play around or might even be some paparazzi tryna start up a story." She tripping out for nothing.

"So? Jermaine this could be Ben."

I chuckle at her. "He's dead. Old dude killed him remember?" She rolls her eyes at me.

"Alright but what about Ron?" She suggests.

"Dead too. That boss guy told us about it, uh Lorenzo. He got blown up remember?" I remind her. She sighs.

"Look it's somebody, and we need to protect Lamarr. Oh and your mom, she lives here now and who knows? They might be watching her too. And Guel and Naza, are any of our loved ones safe?" She rants on. I chuckle under my breath, but I quickly stop so she doesn't hear me.

I take her by the shoulders and make her focus on me. "Baby, nothing gone happen to our family. Both them niggas dead. It's probably just some prank and you taking it out of hand."

"No I'm not, this is serious. We may be in danger." She tells me.

"Your anxiety messing with you, and we don't need your delusions coming back."

She cuts her eyes at me. "My delusions?"

"Last time it was just me and I had you but what about Marr? It would be bad if you had an panic attack in front of him. This shit ain't serious." I tell her.

"Jermaine are you deadass? They could be after us and you wanna dismiss it as me being crazy?"

"I ain say you was crazy. I-"

"Well you might as well have said it." She walks away from me. "I'm not fucking crazy." She walks into the bathroom and slams the door shut. I get up and try to open the door but she locked it.

Fuck.