12

Jermaine

Once I wake up I have to adjust my eyes to the dark. I left the lights off in my studio last night when I came in. I start to stand up but I catch an immediate headache. I hold my head and lay back down. A loud beeping sound fills my ears and Kehlani's voice comes on to the speakers.

"I'm gonna go drop Lamarr off at school, breakfast is on the table."

I don't respond to her, I just lay there and try to collect myself before moving. Once I can move I get up slowly and trudge out of the studio. The back doors left unlocked so I can get back inside. I walk to the kitchen dining room and see a stack of pancakes, Bacon, it orange juice on the table. Just like Keh said.

I sit down to dig in. It all taste delicious, but of course because Kehlani can really cook. After I finish I put the food up and wash the dishes. I make my way upstairs to take a shower and wash last night off.

In the shower I hold my head under the water and stare at it going down the drain. My anger at Kehlani is limited of course because of how much I love her. And Lord knows that she has plenty to be mad at me for. Last night she hit a nerve. She knows how I feel about wanting to protect my family, that's why I moved my mom over here with us. And knowing that she doesn't think I can handle this pisses me off. But maybe it's my fault, maybe I haven't been enough of a protector to her these past few years for her to even think of me as one.

When we first met and she was in trouble I helped her not even fully understanding the situation. So how could she not think of me as a protector? And when I was kidnapped I still made it through and got shot trying to come and protect her. Then again when Ben contacted us through a damn wedding present I went to go find him.

But maybe I should've known that she didn't think I could protect her. Because even after those first couple times trying to help her and keep her safe she still went to Lorenzo. And now she's trying to do it again.

I don't know what to do. As much as I don't want to get anyone else involved I need to ask for advice.

I grab my phone and FaceTime the one person I know could probably help me.

"What's up man." Guel says. He blows out smoke it takes another hit of his blunt.

"Man that's what I need right now." I shake my head.

"By the way your face looks right now I can tell that you already had some. What happened?" He chuckles.

I think hard before I speak. I don't want to get him involved, especially with it being on going. Maybe I could just say subtly without giving all the details. Or even revealing the full problem at all.

"So how would you feel if Naza didn't believe that you could protect her?" I ask.

"Well that's a real challenge of your manhood but I'd try to prove it to her. Is something wrong with you and Lani?" He asks. I shake my head.

"It's nothing to go into detail about. But I just wanted to know because I'm pretty pissed off."

"Well did she say she don't believe you can protect her? Or are you just hearing what you wanna hear?" He gives me the side eye.

I scratch the back of my neck and look away. "She basically said it."

"Man either she did or she didn't."

"She didn't but you hear the whole conversation." I defend myself. She basically said. If she didn't feel that way then she would've said anything like what she said.

" Then tell me the whole conversation."

"It's not worth it. But okay you're right."

"Ight. Now be a good boy go apologize to her."