01. sweet potato pie

AN: Hellurrr, before y'all read make sure to highlight this and comment how you found this book and tell me where you're from! I'm nosy. (Also, please vote! It would mean a lot)

 (Also, please vote! It would mean a lot)

"Where your shirt at boy?"

I let out a slight chuckle and set my ball on the kitchen counter, the aroma of sweet potato pie filling the air. I grabbed a spare towel, wiping the sweat from my forehead as I sat down on the metal stool.

"I was playing basketball with Pop," I tell my mother. "You're lucky I didn't walk in here naked, Cali weather is no joke."

Her black curls bounced as she turned to me and shrugged. "Nothing I ain't seen before."

A large pie was placed in front of me. "That's nasty momma," I say, taking a swipe of icing from the pie.

Momma rolled her eyes and began cleaning the counter. "Isaiah, your ass used to run around naked, I remember your little ding a li–Hey put that down!" She yelled, slapping my hand before I could lick off the frosting.

"That's my Patii Labelle pie, boy! Did I say you could taste it?" She picked it up and placed it next to the stove, shooting me a cold glare as she crossed her arms and waited for an answer.

I shuddered. There was nothing scarier than the Black Mother.

I looked down and muttered a quiet "no", maybe if I didn't make eye contact then the look would go away.

It didn't.

That only made her angrier, so when I saw my father sneaking a piece pie behind her my eyes went wide.

It was like if you were getting chased by a bear, scary as hell, but if someone else pokes it on the butt then it'll start chasing them instead and you're safe without a single scratch. This was the same situation only the bear was my mother and my dad was the dumbass who poked it with a stick. "He's eating the pie!" I screamed, pointing behind her.

Her eyes filled with fire as she slowly turned her head. Pop looked like a deer caught in the headlights, he was bent over, a piece of pie in his hand and a plastic fork in the other. His eyes bulged as he and Momma stared at each other down, his slow chewing causing her to growl.