6- You Look Nice In Black

Lauren's POV

After having dinner at the dining hall, Theo lead us down a number of hallways. He stopped in front of a wooden door after walking for a while and then turned around to face us.

"We take the initiation process very seriously here at Dauntless. There are some ground rules. You must be in the training room by eight o'clock every day. Training takes place daily from eight to six, with a break in between for lunch. You can do whatever you want to after six and you will also get some time off between each stage of initiation." Do whatever you want to? What was there to do here in Dauntless? I couldn't just go around, singing, dancing and picking apples off trees, could I?

"Behind this door is the room where you all will be sleeping in for the next few weeks," Theo added. He opened the door and we all stepped inside. There were 10 beds but 11 of us. 

"Hey, there are only 10 beds!" Karina pointed out.

"And?" Theo questioned.

"11 of us. Where will the left out person sleep?" she asked.

"That decision is up to them. I really don't care," Theo replied as he shrugged his shoulders and left. I quickly claimed a bed, ensuring I wouldn't be the person left out. Dani also claimed a bed, right next to mine and Karina claimed the bed on the other side of me. Luckily, neither of us were left without a bed.

"What do we do now?" Dani asked, looking bored. It was already 9pm but I wasn't in the mood of getting up and doing something. All I wanted to do right now was sleep.

"I'm going to get some rest," I replied as I sank further down on my bed. 

I lay in bed and looked up at the ceiling. It was scary how just yesterday, I was in my own room, looking up at my pale pink coloured ceiling but now I was here in the Dauntless compound, looking up at a dark ceiling. I terribly missed home. I couldn't help but think how Lisa was in Erudite and how Amy was in Candor. Would they be thinking about me like I was thinking about them?

Heat swelled behind my eyes as I thought of my broken family. When I blinked, a tear slipped out and I had to cover my mouth to stifle a sob. My family was broken. Mum was lucky she still had Christina and Katherine, but that was all she had left. I was lucky I had Dani but it just wasn't the same as having my whole family. Now that I really thought about it, I couldn't live a happy life without my family. They were everything to me and always made me laugh. I had a feeling I wasn't going to find much happiness here in Dauntless. This was a terrible idea.

"Dani, do you miss home?" I whispered. I didn't expect a reply back. For all I knew, Dani was probably already asleep. Today was a long and heartbreaking day, after all.

"I miss everyone, but I miss mum the most. I'm just so glad I have you, Lauren," Dani replied. As soon as she said my name, I heard a sob escape from her mouth. More sobs escaped her mouth and I could see her bury her face in her pillow, from the corner of my eye. It was tough to let go of something you loved the most, and I knew exactly how that felt because I was experiencing the same thing.

I wondered whether Mum, Christina or Katherine were going to visit us on Visiting Day. Most likely not.

~

Dani's POV

I woke up as soon as I heard voices. I looked around and from everything that was going on, I could tell that it was already morning. I yawned and got out of bed, quickly changing into the Dauntless clothes. I didn't exactly care if anyone had seen me change or not. I probably wouldn't make it through initiation, so why would it matter anyway?