14- A Knife Straight Through The Heart

The following day, I practically crawled to the training room with sleep invading my thoughts like a raging storm. I never knew that last night was going to make me so tired. When I finally made it to the training room, it seemed as if everyone had the same feeling as me. Almost every three seconds, I caught someone yawning. A row of targets stood across the side of the room. Either we were going to practise with a bow and arrow or with knives. I was guessing the latter as soon as I spotted a pile of knives in the corner of the room.

"Wake up!" Theo called out to everyone in the room. "Tomorrow will be the last day of stage one where you will all resume fighting. Today, however, we're going to learn how to aim with knives. Everyone, go pick up three knives." As I obeyed Theo's instructions and headed over to collect three knives, I thought about how stage one of initiation was almost complete. It was crazy how it felt as if I had just jumped into the net a day ago, when in reality, it was almost a week and a half ago.

The knives felt strange in my hand but then again, so did the gun when I held it for the first time. Holding these knives reminded me once again of Amity and my broken family. I could just picture Christina, Katherine and mum picking off apples from the trees to make apple pie. I could even imagine their unhappy faces as they thought about us, the ones who deceived them. Visiting Day was in two days and I was almost certain that neither Christina, Katherine or my own mother would come and visit Dani and I.

"Lauren Cimorelli, keep your attention over here!" Theo snapped his fingers, immediately causing me to snap out of my thoughts. "Seriously, what is it with you Amity-born people and knives? They're not so bad when you think about their uses for other things."

"How did y-" I began, wondering how Theo knew that I was thinking about Amity.

"Anyways," he cut me off, "watch how I throw the knife to the target. Keep in mind everything that I do before I release the knife from my hand."

*

After Theo showed us how to throw a knife to a target, everyone then began to aim at the target themselves. Everyone except for me. For a while, I decided to practise without a knife, finding the right stance and trying to learn the right arm motion. I might have looked silly to the others but I really didn't care that much. Nobody had hit the target yet anyways.

"Hey, Cimorelli! Did you forget what a knife is?" Sebastian remarked as he stood to my left and practised with his own knives. A few people around me started snickering but I shrugged it off as if it was just an annoying fly that had rested on my shoulder.

Once I was sure I had perfectly learned the correct arm motion, I picked up one of my knives and held it in my hand for a moment. I was going to have to get used to this. I held it up to my ear, focusing straight ahead at the target. I took in a deep breath and exhaled when I released the knife from my hand. The knife went flying towards the target and in that second, it hit the target straight on. A huge grin automatically formed on my face and I watched as Sebastian kept throwing the knife, missing the target each time. With a sense of confidence and adrenalin instilled into my body since I had hit the target, I couldn't help but speak back to Sebastian.

"Hey Sebastian! Did you forget what a target is?" He glanced at me from the corner of his eye and muttered something under his breath that I couldn't quite hear.

"Would you like to repeat that again, Sebastian?" I asked, the smirk still planted on my face.

"Stop trying to act smart. You weren't from Erudite. First you act like you're from Amity, then you act like you're from Erudite, then Dauntless, then Candor... you have almost all of the factions in you!" Sebastian blurted out. I silently prayed to God he didn't know what he was talking about because, at the rate he was going, he was pretty much saying that I was Divergent.