8- Saying "Good Luck" Doesn't Always Help

Lauren's POV

"This is what you've done to us, Lauren. We can never be the same again. You betrayed us. We can't trust you anymore. YOU BETRAYED US!" Christina yelled as she stood with Katherine and mum, who both looked as if they were in misery. A white cloud surrounded them and they were dressed in white clothing. Amity never wore any colour other than yellow or red.

"See, Lauren? Look at mum. Look at what her life is like now," Katherine added with her sweet voice, although there was a slight hint of disgust. I looked at mum who looked more pale and looked so fragile that even a touch would send her falling to the cold, hard ground.

"Lauren... you were the sunshine that kept all of us going. You created the most joy in our household and you were the one who just had this special something inside of you. But now, that you're gone, we can't live in happiness. This family is in ruins now, sweetie. Ugh, I can't even call you sweetie anymore. I think Lauren will just have to do. You're not my daughter anymore. Please, don't even consider yourself my daughter," mum looked at me with her beautiful eyes, that were now sparkling with tears.

"No, please mum! Don't blame us. Blame Amy and Lisa!" Dani exclaimed from somewhere off into the far distance.

"NO! YOU GIRLS RUINED US!"

I woke up suddenly and gasped in shock. My whole body was sweating fiercely and, when I lifted my arms, they shook uncontrollably. I took in deep breaths and reminded myself that it wasn't real. Mum, Christina and Katherine were just fine without me, Dani, Amy and Lisa. They could survive without us. I promised myself they were happy with their own lives and were living in peace.

I got out of bed and made my way to the training room. It was only 7am so I had one whole hour to train hard. My whole body was still shaking by the time I got to the training room. I started by warming myself up and doing a few stretches and basic kicks and punches. I kept repeating Theo's words in my mind as I trained: Don't forget to keep tension here, on your stomach.

"Well, you're one determined initiate," a voice said behind me. I gasped in shock and turned around to see Theo standing there. "You won't be fighting today since there's an odd number of initiates, anyway."

"Um, why me?" I asked nervously. Why did Theo choose me to not fight today?

"I figured I'd help you by giving you more time to train. You're still weak, but I can see that you're fast and you can win if you attack first. Keep working," he replied as he began walking away. He was going to give me more time to train? Ariana also needed more time to train as she was also weak. I thought about it for a moment and wondered if Theo actually knew somehow that I was Divergent. Maybe he was going to treat me differently now that I was Divergent. But, why? Why?

Dani's POV

"Since there are an odd number of you, one of you will not be fighting today," Theo said as he stepped away from the chalkboard in the training room, allowing us to see who was fighting who. I was already nervous, hoping that I was the one who wouldn't be fighting today. I searched for my name and saw that I was paired up with Karina. No freaking way. This was so unfair. How was I supposed to fight one of my own friends?

I searched for Lauren's name and saw that she wasn't fighting today. Lucky girl, I thought. I turned my head around to look at Lauren.

"Good luck, Dani," she said. Good luck? Good LUCK? There was no way I could possibly fight my own friend.

"I can't fight Karina," I whispered to Lauren.

"Yes, you can, Dani. I've seen you training. You're really strong and you can easily beat her," she replied.