16- Peace or War? First or Last?

I opened up my eyes the second I heard a sound. The memories of yesterday came flooding back in my mind and the sight of Luke lying unconscious on the ground made me want to hurt myself. I never knew I would be capable of doing something as horrible as that, but it happened and there was no going back in time to fix that up. I wished I could go to the hospital to see Luke and to apologize, but that would be a sign of weakness. I had to face the facts and learn that what I did was the right thing to do. Luke had underestimated me so it made sense that I wanted him to think that he was wrong. That I was capable of anything.

"Today's the day," Dani said as she got up from bed with a look of anxiety in her eyes. Visiting day. With the thoughts of yesterday raiding my mind like a thunderstorm, I completely forgot that today was the day that I may or may not see my mum, Christina or Katherine. I had this little hope of seeing my sisters or mum today, for some unknown reason. I got up from bed myself, looking for fresh clothes to change into. Everyone around me looked nervous. Even Sebastian. Would his parents come to visit him? Why did I care anyway?

As soon as I finished changing into a simple black dress, I walked out with Dani and Karina to the Pit, hoping to find the familiar face of mum, Christina or Katherine.

"Oh my gosh, she came! She actually came!" Karina exclaimed as her eyes glistened with tears and as she cupped her hand over her mouth to stop herself from screaming out loud, I knew she had found someone she knew from her old faction. I followed her eyes to see she was looking at an olive-skinned woman, wearing the typical black and white clothes of Candor, who was standing by herself, looking around at everyone in the Pit.

"Is she your mum?" I asked.

"Yes, that's my mum! I'll catch up with you guys later, alright? Hope you and Dani find your mum!" as Karina said that, she walked away to meet her mum. I was really happy for Karina at the moment. She was lucky her mum had come to visit her here, in Dauntless, despite the fact that she transferred. I looked around the Pit once again, only to find that neither mum, Christina or Kath had come to visit us.

"No one came. We should go back to our dorm before things get really emotional," I said to Dani, already feeling the warm tears blurring my vision.

"Wait, I'm still searching!" Dani replied as she kept on looking around the Pit, more carefully than I did.

"I've already looked and they're not here, Dani! We should just go b-"

"Lauren!" Dani interrupted me as she grabbed my arm tightly and shook a little.

"What?" I asked. Dani pointed somewhere off to the left, making me feel nervous. I was almost afraid to see what Dani was pointing at but I shook off the slight fear, looked to the left and there she was.

Not mum or Katherine, but Christina.

"C-Christina came! Sh-She came!" Dani stammered as she dragged me, running towards Christina. I couldn't believe it. Christina actually came to visit us. Dani immediately hugged Christina and she hugged back, fighting off tears.

"Oh, my little sisters! I've missed you both so much," she said as she went to hug me. I hugged back and smelled the familiar scent of apple trees and Amity bread, only realizing then how much I had missed home. "Look at you girls! So strong and beautiful."

"Thank you. I can't believe you actually came. Where are mum and Kath?" I asked.

"Kath went to visit Amy in Candor and mum is at home. She would have come to visit but she's feeling a little sick, unfortunately," Christina explained.

"No one visited Lisa in Erudite," Dani pointed out.

"Your mum, Kath and I agreed to not visit her after all that's going on," she continued explaining.