Scar

I'm not sure how long we laid in bed. It was dark by the time I finally made the move to get up. As I sat up as saw Isaac's eyes straining to stay open. 

"Isaac, you need to sleep," I stood up stretching. 

"I won't sleep without you," he sat up on his elbows. 

"That was cheesy," I joked smiling. 

"I can't help it you make me cheesy," he shrugged. 

"Isaac why don't I let you take me back to your place and then we can sleep okay?" 

"You just like my bed better don't you?"

"Your's is like a fucking cloud of course I do," I laughed leaning over on the bed. 

"Fine," he pecked my lips and got up. "But," he started to look around. "I want this painting to come with us," he picked up one I had down of us. 

"That's not even my favorite," I laughed. 

"But it's mine." 

I watched his face as he looked it over. One of my favorite things about art is that it is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Isaac found beauty in a painting I made late at night when I couldn't stop thinking about him. It made me like it more than I did. 

"I'm going to get you a showing," he said putting his shoes on. 

"What?" I turned to look at him. 

"Yeah, Miguel wants to see you pieces so bad and I know he'll want to show them. His favorite pieces are typically human pieces. I mean not that he's picky he shows everything with talent," he smiled standing up. 

"Miguel would get me a showing?" 

"Of course," he stood and cupped my cheeks. 

"Oh my god," I mumbled. 

He kissed me softly and I held his hands wanting to hold the moment forever. 

"Now come on, we've got a bed calling us."

I watched all the lights as we drove back to his place. Car rides are always the best place to think and right now my mind couldn't calm down. Isaac loved me. I knew I wanted to be with him and I know that if Mamma could get over the mafia part I could too, but there was still something holding me back. Deep down I knew what it was, but I didn't want to admit it. I knew it was the reason I was fighting every part of me to just finally fall for him. I had to tell him. 

"Do you need anything to eat? I can order some Chinese," Isaac said closing the door behind us. 

"No I'm okay," I spoke softly. 

"Ethan, you were acting weird the whole way home, please tell me what's on your mind. Is it me still?" he asked with worry in his voice. 

"No!" I spoke louder than I planned. "You're great, you're perfect." 

"Then tell me. We have to be honest with each other all the time babe," he walked to me with his hands out. 

I took his hands and guided them to the couch. I sat down and he followed. I knew his mind was racing, I couldn't keep pushing him away. 

"You remember how you told me that Luca and his goons almost killed you that night in college?" 

"Yes?" he asked clearly confused. 

"And I know you've noticed that I haven't said the l word yet."

"It's okay you can say that whenever you ready," he moved closer to me on the couch. 

I took a deep breath and I could feel my heart rate increasing, "the last time I said it I almost died." 

His eyes spoke for themselves. He didn't speak. I figured its better to spill it. 

"The first year I moved here I fell hard. He was one of the first men to actually want to date me. All guys wanted in college was a good fuck yeah know," I laughed nervously. "I thought I was in love, but that's not what it was," I could feel myself breaking. "He started to get angrier as time went on. At first it was all verbal, but one day he snapped and it wasn't just words." I pointed to my jawline, "I know you've never asked about it, but I've seen you look at it. This scar right a long my jaw is from him." The tears were coming down and I couldn't stop it. "The last night I saw him and I tried to plead with him. Get him to love me and go back to his old ways, but it was to late he was gone. He wasn't the person I knew. Jackson picked me up from the hospital that night and he swore that he wouldn't stop till Alex was in jail." I wiped my eyes and continued as Isaac's face stayed stunned. "Alex is in jail still and there is a restraining order set in place for when he gets out. But Isaac that night when you stabbed that man, I wasn't upset that you stabbed someone. I thought I was at first, but really I was scared of you. I'd seen that look before," the sobbing started and I couldn't control it, "I'd loved someone before so hard and they hurt me. I was scared it happen again. I can't have that happen again." 

I tried to catch my breathe as I wiped my tears away. I looked to Isaac and I couldn't make out what he was thinking. 

"Isaac?" I choked out. 

He looked at me and without a word he pulled me into his lap and wrapped his arms tightly around me. I buried my face in his chest and the tears came harder. I don't think I had ever cried like that before. I just let it all go and I could. He had me and he wasn't going to judge me. He was my rock. 

I felt his lips kiss my head softly and soft words to my ear, "I will never ever let anyone touch you again. I swear to you I will protect you till the day I die." 

I squeezed him tight trying to calm myself down. 

"I've got you," he cooed rubbing my back. 

I sat up and placed my hands on his chest. 

"That man is lucky he's in jail," his thumb ran along my scar. "I'm sorry I shouldn't make threats after something like that." 

"No it's okay," I wiped my eyes. 

"Why don't we take a shower and wash all this bad shit away and go to sleep?" he kissed my scar making me blush slightly. 

"That sound's like a good idea."