Museum

I work up a little sore with the light in my eyes. I sat up slightly realizing I had been moved to the bed. I sat up a little groggy and made my way to the bathroom and turned the shower on. While it warmed up I looked around for my phone. Thank god for phone reminders or else I would have completely forgotten about my interview at MoMA.  

MoMA was one of the best art museums in the world and Miguel had gotten an interview for me to be an exhibit guide. I would be doing personal tours and giving all the history to beautiful pieces. It was was the first step in the right direction after my successful exhibit a while back. 

One of the women who would be holding my interview was at my showing and told Miguel I showed great potential. God I hope it went well. 

Everyone at the coffee shop new I was looking for a new job and honestly they were all proud of me. Most everyone I knew was. They wanted me to succeed and one day I will. 

After 30 minutes of scrubbing the paint off my body I headed to the main house and got dressed. I opted for a nice button up and a lose blazer. I didn't want to over dress it, but I still wanted to look good. 

"Don't you look good," I heard Hector at the bottom of the stairs. 

"I've got that interview today," I took a deep breath. 

"You'll do great," he patted my shoulder. 

"I'll clean that mess up later," I laughed motioning to the guest house. 

"Don't worry about it. We'll set the canvas up in the spare room and clean the sheets for you," he winked. 

"Why are you so calm about that?" I laughed knowing I was blushing a little. 

"Because one I won't be doing it and two because we've all made a mess before," he winked. 

"Get out of here you perv," I pushed him and walked to the office. 

I knocked lightly before I heard his clearly still sleepy voice answer. 

"Off to my interview," I smiled shyly walking in. 

He stood up smiling, "you're going to do great. You're meeting Miguel for lunch afterwards too right?"

"Yep, hopefully with all good notes," I laughed nervously. 

He cupped my cheeks and kissed my head, "stop worrying and go kill it babe." 

"I love you," I smiled up. 

"I love you too and never forget that, okay?" he smiled rubbing his thumb along my cheek. 

"I won't," I blushed walking out of the office.

Here goes nothing. 

***

"She what?" Miguel almost spat his drink out. 

"Yes, she was totally in love with all the male forms I had done. She said it was so fresh to see gay art coming in," I spilled overly excited. 

"You've got this job in the bag. She's never even spoken to me like that," he laughed. 

"I really hope so. Just thinking about being able to really express to someone what all the works mean," I sat back imagining. 

"I love giving people the story behind it, but I love listening to them give me their take," he took another sip of his drink. 

"Oh it's going to be great. I can't thank you again for this," I raised my glass and he clinked mine. 

"It's all well deserved."

I took another bite of my food before Miguel's phone was ringing. He pulled it out with a little hesitance. 

"Who's that?" 

"Just this girl who can't catch my drift," he laughed nervously clicking it off. He sat it on the table and I heard a couple of vibrations from it. "Do you want to go to the Whitney and practice your tour guide voice?" 

"That sounds great," I laughed pulling my wallet out. 

Miguel slapped his card down faster than I could blink. "Not today sir." 

"Fine," I squinted my eyes and put my wallet back. 

We both laughed and headed to the Museum. It was nice to have a mentor going into the art world. He told me everything who knew and gave me tips for the type of language I should use for different people. I approached it all so much. 

"Shit," Miguel mumbled. 

"Your phoen again?" I laughed. 

"Yeah, they won't give up." He stopped and for the first time he read it all. 

"What is it?" I laughed walking towards him. 

He didn't respond. He finger ran through the messages and after one last it was quickly to his ear. "Are you coming to get us? How bad is it? My god I can't just tell him. He's going to be more pissed at me," he made eye contact with me, "get here fast. I'll control him as much as I can." 

"What are you talking about?" I felt my heart begin to race. 

He looked around and pulled me all the way out of the museum. 

"Miguel, what the fuck is going on!" I shouted making him release my arm. 

"Ethan, please stay calm, okay?" he grabbed my arms. 

"Then tell me what the fuck is happening? Why am I going to be pissed? What happened?" I practically growled. 

"So we knew you had an interview today and you would be easy to distract all day," he spoke softly. 

"What the fuck did Isaac do?" I gripped Miguel's arms. 

He sighed, "he went to go kill Roman. He succeeded, but Luca expected it. We lost two men and he's really hurt. He's at the hospital right now." 

My heart sank. He lied to me. He told me he wouldn't act without me knowing. But on the other hand he was hurt. My baby was hurt. I didn't know whither to be pissed or to be worried. My emotions were all over the place and before I knew it my breathing was deep. 

"Ethan breathe. Hector is on his way to get us. We're going straight there okay?" Miguel cooed. 

I couldn't speak. I just nodded. I watched as Hector pulled up and jumped out guiding me to the car. Everything moved in slow motion. It was starting to become a common thing in my life and I didn't know if I liked it.