Hospital

Everything was in slow motion. I couldn't seem to come back to the real world as my mind raced. How bad was he? Did the hospital question what happened? Why didn't he tell me? God let him live. Mamma and I can't do it again. 

The car stopped and Hector opened my door getting me out quickly. I walked between Hector and Miguel quietly as people talked around us. I didn't really hear anything they said as we were escorted up the elevators. We made it to the end of the hall and one man opened the door and hector looked at me. I tried to focus to hear him.  

"They said he's stable right now, but he won't wake up for a little bit. Would you like to stay with him?" 

I nodded faster than my brain even comprehended what was happening. He let go of me and I walked in looking back. 

"I'll be right here the whole time," he pointed to a chair outside the door. I nodded and walked all the way in.

He looked awful. He had a small tube coming out of his mouth and an IV attached to him. You could see the gauze peaking out from the top of his gown. My heart broke looking at him. He was broken. I just wanted to hold him and tell him he'd be okay. 

"You must be Ethan," a Doctor came up behind me taking me by surprise. He was an older man, probably old enough to be my grandfather, but he looked so wise. It relaxed me a little bit. "Everyone told me you were the man I needed to talk to," he smiled sticking his hand out. 

I shock his hand and gave him a half smile. 

"Don't worry Ethan, Isaac is in good hands. I've taken care of his father for years," he winked and my mind clicked. He's like a mafia doctor. They must trust him and only him to treat anyone involved in our mafia. 

"I will say it took a couple months for his father to come in this bad," he laughed lightly. 

"But he did?" I asked nervously. 

"Oh god yes and his wife would be right where you are hoping that I'd fix him again."

"And you always did."

"That's how it works," he patted my shoulder. "I promise I'll take good care of him just like I did his father."

"So, you..." I trailed off unsure how to really ask. 

"Yes Ethan I know about the mafia. Back when his father started out many hospitals were still small and things could easily slip. I treated his father the first time and when he woke up he asked me to lie about it all and for some reason I did. After the third time he brought me into his ring. I've taken care of his men for years, but soon I will have to get someone else soon to take over," he looked at Isaac. 

"How will you know?" 

"Doctors train for years at the hospital before they begin their own work. I know all of the new people very well and I can tell who I would bring into this, but Isaac will have to approve first." 

"How do you keep this a secret?" I motioned to Isaac. 

"He was out on a shooting range and made the mistake of walking out to clean up when people were still out. Easy mistake," he winked. 

"People just believe you?"

"I'm respected and when I choose my successor they will trust them too." 

"Okay," I spoke softly walking to Isaac's side. 

"The tube was in their early to help clear his lungs out from the blood over flow. He is clear now so a nurse will take it out soon. The same one will come back a couple of times to check on different things, but don't feel you can't reach me if you're worried," I could hear his footsteps leaving. 

"Wait," I called. 

"Yes?"

"How many?"

"How many?" he asked confused. 

"Bullets."

"Oh, 3."

3. Fuck.

"Ethan, relax he's going to make it out just fine. He'll need your help the next couple of weeks, but he'll be back to normal before you know it. Now sit down and keep him company," he smiled walking out. 

I looked around and found a chair to pull up next to him. I took his hand and placed it in mine and laid them on the bed. 

"Isaac," I sighed. "How could you not tell me? I want to be so mad at you for going out and doing this stupid thing, but I can't. You're hurt, hurt bad and I just want you back. I want to hold you and make it all better." I rubbed my thumb along his knuckles. "I want to tell you how stupid you are and how much I love you." I could feel a tear starting up. "Please just come through soon so I can yell at you and kiss you." 

I woke up with a wet face as a nurse quietly removed a tube from his mouth. 

"Oh hello," she smiled placing it in a dish. "He is all set and the doctor thinks he should wake up in the next couple of hours. It's just a waiting game now love," she smiled walking to the door. "Hit the button if you need me."

I smiled wiping my face off. I got up and walked out to see Hector in the chair playing Candy Crush. 

"Ethan, what can I help you with?" he never looked up from his game. 

"I'm hungry. Can you get someone to get me some food?" I asked softly. 

"Of course. Any thing in particular?" he looked up at me. 

"No, just food. Thank you," I smiled walking back into the room. 

I sighed sitting back in my chair. I took his hand the same way and kept them next to his side. 

"I love you Isaac," I whispered. "Please come back to me soon. I need you." I lifted our hands and kissed the back of his. 

My heart and mind were fulled with so many emotions and thoughts, but the loudest one was always my love for him. I think in this moment I've finally realized why Mamma always stayed. Love is always the strongest.