Twelve ••• TAKE COVER!

Grace's Pov
Carter has ignored me the rest of the day and I still don't know why he got so mad. He told me to pay attention to my friends and I do. He hasn't told me anything was wrong and as far as I could see he wasn't showing any signs either.

"I have been waiting to tell you since frigging lunch Grace!" Gabi squealed running up to my locker. Her wide smile reaching from ear to ear.

"What's up?" I asked.

"CALEB ASKED ME OUT!" She yelled gaining attention from obviously jealous girls around us. I snickered.

"Quiet down. I think the dead people in Poland heard you." I said. She raised her eyebrow.

"Those damn zombies better be happy for me then." She said. I closed my locker.

"You'd cause a zombie apocalypse just from your excitement of going out with Caleb?" I asked. She nodded.

"Duh. Have you seen how hot he is?" She retorted.

"Yes being I've lived with him all my life. Including sharing a womb." I said then started bursting out laughing.

I laugh at my own jokes. Cry about it.

"Oh my god I need to make new friends." Gabi muttered with a face palm.

"Come on Gabs. It was a good one. Admit it." I said. She shook her head.

"Nope. It was corny. It was soooo corny." Gabi said making me laugh harder as we walked outside to wait for Caleb and Veronica.

"So now that I have a date with Caleb, I need to find you a date so we can double." Gabi said. I frowned.

"Gabi I don't want a date." I said.

"Don't lie to me Grace. You want a date. Let's scope out the man candy. Oh look, there's Dylan." She said pointing over to Dylan's truck where he's sitting on the back bed smoking a cigarette alone.

He actually looks kinda lonely and upset.

"You wanna talk to him now don't you?" Gabi asked with a smirk. I glared at her and stuck my tongue out childishly before walking over to Dylan.

"Hey. You okay?" I asked. He huffed out a puff of smoke.

"I'm pretty sure that's the second or third time you've asked me today." He said. I pouted and he sighed scooting over to make room for me on the truck.

But being me, Grace Clutz Braxton, I kinda have a bit of trouble climbing up. Embarrassment level one hundred.

Dylan got off so he could put his hands on my waist and lift me up onto he bed of the truck. Then he hopped up and sat down back next to me.

"Thanks." I muttered. He didn't say anything. He just takes a long drag from his cigarette.

"Are you still thinking about the whole Wesley situation?" I asked. He looked at me.

"What else would I be thinking about?" He retorted kinda rudely. I just shut my trap for a second.

"Look I want to help you but you aren't really telling me how I can." I said truthfully. He rolled his eyes.

"Because it's none of your damn business. And I don't want you getting dragged into it. You've seen Wesley. He's not going to just let you off with a warning." He explained.

"Well I still want to help you. And Mandy. And Katie. I don't need to physically do anything. But I could help you figure things out like what to do or how to approach something-"

He cut me off by cupping me cheek with his hand and turning my head to face his. His face is extremely close to mine and his breath smells like cigarettes but oddly it doesn't bother me.