chapter three: Strings

"You look great, if I do say so myself," Natasha said.

"I don't remember the last time I wore make-up," I said smiling.

"Well, you are bringing red lipstick back into fashion," Natasha said.

"It went out?" I asked surprised.

"No, but looking sexy without flashing somebody did," Natasha said as she looked at the black dress. 

"Well, you're not flashing anyone," I told her.

"I'm a spy, I don't usually have to do," Natasha said. 

"You ladies ready?" Tony asked as he burst in.

"Are you dressed?" Steve asked as he came in with his hand covering his eyes. 

"You can look, Steve," Natasha said, but Steve still didn't.

"I wouldn't walk in if my auntie was not properly dressed!" Tony snapped.

I smiled, "Howard would not have cared."

"That is a compliment," Tony said.

"I'll see you later," Natasha said as she left. 

"You look lovely," Tony said and then turned to Steve as he finally took his hands away from his face, "now, no baby-making."

"Tony!" Steve said blushing as my nephew ran out of the room.

"He is very much like Howard," I said smiling sadly.

"You miss him," Steve stated.

I nodded, "but I know he didn't fail in life." 

"You do look beautiful," Steve said. "Not that I'm trying to objectify you, just a compliment for a beautiful dame. I mean woman, wait, I should say lady." 

"You still don't know how to speak to women," I told Steve.

Steve chuckled nervously, "I don't know if that will ever change." 

~*~

"Well, you know, the suit can take the weight, right? So I take the tank, fly it right up to the General's palace, drop it at his feet, I'm like, Boom! You looking for this?" A man named James Rhodey said as he told a very exciting story. "Boom! You looking for this..."

He looked around expectantly, "I'm sorry. I'm still just trying to get used to flying men in iron," I told him.

"Iron Man," Tony told me.

"Why do I even talk to you guys? Everywhere else that story kills," Colonel Rhodes said. 

"That was a wonderful story, Colonel Rhodes," I said. 

"You can just call me, Rhodey, Miss Stark," he said.

"Then you should call me Helena," I told him. 

"Your aunt is so much nicer than you, Tony," Rhodey said. 

"That's the whole story?" Thor asked. 

"Yeah, it's a War Machine story," Rhodey said.

"War Machine?" I questioned.

"It's his 'superhero' name," Tony told me. 

"Well, it's very good then," Thor said with a laugh. "It's impressive."

"Quality save," Rhodey said flatly before turning to Rhodey. "So, no Pepper? She's not coming?"

"No," Tony said. 

"Hey, what about Jane?" Miss Maria Hill said. "Where are the other ladies, gentlemen?"