chapter five: Stork

"He's all over the globe. Robotics labs, weapons facilities, jet propulsion labs, reports of a metal man, or men, coming in and emptying the place," Maria told us. 

"Fatalities?" Steve asked. 

"Only when engaged. Mostly guys left in a fugue state going on about old memories, worst fears, and something too fast to see," Maria said. 

"Maximoffs," I said.

"You know them?" Steve asked.

I nodded, "Strucker made sure that I met them so I knew what he wanted me to be working towards. Just more, stable."

"Well, that makes sense he'd go to them, they have someone in common," Steve said. 

"Not anymore," Maria said as she showed us a photo on the tablet.

"That's morbid," I muttered as I saw the body with the word 'PEACE' written in Strucker's blood.

"I've seen worse," Maria said as she walked away.

"Are you alright?" Steve asked as I stared at the photo.

"They're just kids," I whispered. 

"They made their choices," Steve said.

I bit my lip, "you and I both made choices at that age to try to help others. No matter what had happened to us."

"Not everyone has people to show them that," Steve reminded. "Have called Rosemary?" 

I shook my head, "I want to talk to her in person first."

"We'll make sure you do," Steve said.

I gave him a look, "you and I both know that going home isn't always gonna happen. Now, I'm going to go see Tony about something, and make sure he'll let me come with you all."

"Still planning on that?" Steve asked.

I smiled, "I gotta keep Howard's kid alive."

~*~

"Tony," I said as Natasha walked in.

"What's up, auntie?" Tony asked. 

I handed him the flash drive Natasha showed me how to use last night, "can you make sure that this video gets to Rosemary."

"Why would I do that?" Tony asked.

"Because she's gonna help us," Natasha said flatly.

"I-I, no," Tony said.

"She was the brains behind Howard during the war," Steve said as he walked in. 

"She did learn every single thing you sent her," Bruce said. 

"You can't become an expert in that stuff overnight!" Tony complained. 

"You did," Natasha said dryly.

"We'll talk more about this later," Steve said as he handed had Bruce bring up the picture of Strucker 

"What's this?" Tony asked. 

"A message. Ultron killed Strucker," Steve said. 

Tony's eyebrows rose, "and he did a Banksy at the crime scene, just for us."

"This is a smokescreen. Why send a message when you've just given a speech?" Natasha asked. 

"Strucker knew something that Ultron wanted us to miss," Steve said. 

"Yeah, I bet he-" Natasha said as she looked at the screen. "Yep. Everything we had on Strucker has been erased."

"Not everything," Tony said.