chapter ten: SHIELD

"That was fun," I said as I leaned against a car.

"You need to teach me how to do that," Pietro said. "I would do it in a tenth of the time it would take you."

I rolled my eyes, "is everyone left on this floating city in the hospital?"

"I think so," Wanda said.

"Go check," I told them both.

"How are you doing?" Steve asked.

I shrugged, "feels like a never ending war."

"I know the feeling," Steve said as we looked around. "The next wave's gonna hit any minute. What have you got, Stark?"

"Well, nothing great. Maybe a way to blow up the city. That'll keep it from impacting the surface if you guys can get clear," Tony replied. 

"I asked for a solution, not an escape plan," Steve said. 

"Impact radius is getting bigger every second. We're going to have to make a choice," Tony said. 

"Cap, these people are going nowhere. If Stark finds a way to blow this rock..." Natasha said. 

"Not 'til everyone's safe," Steve said. 

"Everyone up here versus everyone down there? There's no math there," Natasha said. 

"I'm not leaving this rock with one civilian on it," Steve said. 

"I didn't say we should leave," Natasha said.

I sighed, "she has a point."

"But, you just-" Steve began.

"There's worse ways to go. Where else am I gonna get a view like this?" Natasha said smiling. 

"Glad you like the view, Romanoff. It's about to get better," a voice I recognized as Mr. Fury said.

"What is that?" I asked as a flying carrier came into view.

"Helicarrier," Steve told me.

"Nice, right? I pulled her out of mothballs with a couple of old friends. She's dusty, but she'll do," Fury said. 

"Fury, you son of a bitch," Steve said. 

"Oooh! You kiss your mother with that mouth?" Fury asked as I laughed. 

"Let's get these people out of here," I said as mini life-boats flew towards us. 

"This is SHIELD?" Pietro asked. 

"This is what SHIELD's supposed to be," Steve said. 

"This is not so bad," Pietro said. 

"Let's load 'em up," Steve said. 

"Come on sweetie," I told a young girl gently as she cried in her mothers arms. "This will get you out of here."

"But I can't find Genna," the little girl cried.

"I'll find her, don't worry," I said as they got on the boat.

"You know you can't really promise that," Steve said. 

"Not much I can do about it," I said sadly as the boat pulled away. 

"Avengers, time to work for a living," Tony announced. 

"I need a ride," Natasha said.

"I got you covered," I told her as I quickly hotwired a truck and we went plowing through fields of robots. 

"Romanoff? You and Banner better not be playing hide the zucchini," Tony said. 

"Relax, Shell-head. Not all of us can fly," Natasha said as she drove.