chapter fifteen: Sing

"Are you sure you don't want to say anything?" Sharon asked me as I stood outside waiting for Steve to show up. "You two were best friends." 

"I don't think I could get up there and not start crying," I told her honestly. "Peggy deserves more than that today, and you can do that for her." 

"I'll see you after?" Sharon asked.

"We'll catch up," I agreed. 

"Here comes your man," Sharon said. "You know, she was always hoping you two would get married."

"I know," I said smiling as Steve saw me. 

"I better go in," Sharon said, but she left before I could reply.

"Helena," Steve said as he pulled me into a tight hug. "Were you-"

"No," I told him gently. "How are you holding up?" 

"There's too much going on," Steve said honestly. 

"I heard," I told him as Steve walked up. 

"Tony?" 

"He's asked me to be at the signing in his place," I said. "Told me it was a political thing, didn't really get into specifics until Natasha called me to try to convince you."

"And?" 

"I'm no superhero," I told him honestly. "But I trust your judgment. However, I stand by my word, so I'll be there to represent Tony. Sneaky little nephew, he wanted to make sure that-"

"You wouldn't get pulled down with me if I do something they don't like," Steve said. 

"I hate to interrupt you two, but we should go in," Sam said joining us. "How you doing?"

"I've been worse," I answered honestly as he gave me a tight hug. 

"I'll see you two inside," Steve said, and Sam walked me in. 

"How bad is it?" I asked.

"Looks like a crack right down the middle so far," Sam answered. 

"I'm glad that I never joined," I muttered.

"You'd be a good voice of reason," Sam said. 

"I think that's what Vision's for."

~*~

I wouldn't turn around as the children began to sing.

I kept myself facing forward.

I looked at the picture of my best friend. 

I could feel my heart breaking at losing another person I love. 

I could tell that Steve felt the same as he sat down next to me and held my hand tightly. 

I held onto him, because I knew without him...

I would be lost. 

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter to come up and say a few words," the priest said. I looked up as Sharon walked up, but Steve wasn't paying attention. It was Sam who nudged him, and I could feel the surprise as Steve looked at Sharon. 

I smiled to myself when he glanced at me, he didn't know his lovely neighbor was Peggy's niece. "Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of S.H.I.E.L.D.," Sharon began, "but I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related.

"I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage in a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. Aunt Peggy joked it was because her good friend Helena couldn't," Sharon said, and people chuckled as I blushed.