chapter four: Stark

"Stark," Steve said, but he was not referring to me. 

"JARVIS," Tony said as we all stood up and looked at the broken robot with horror. 

"I'm sorry, I was asleep," the robot muttered. "Or...I was a dream?"

"Reboot, Legionnaire OS, we got a buggy suit," Tony said. 

"Tony, what's going on?" I questioned nervously.

"There was a terrible noise and I was tangled in, in strings. I had to kill the other guy. He was a good guy," the robot muttered. 

Steve stood in front of me protectively, "you killed someone?"

"Wouldn't have been my first call. But, down in the real world we're faced with ugly choices," the robotic voice muttered. 

"Who sent you?" Thor asked. 

Tony's voice came out of the robot in answer, "I see a suit of armor around the world".

"Ultron!" Bruce said. 

"In the flesh," this Ultron said. "Or, no, not yet. Not this... chrysalis. But I'm ready. I'm on a mission."

"What mission?" Natasha asked. 

"Peace in our time," Ultron said and then suddenly numerous iron robots smashed through the walls and attacked us. 

I dived to the side as Steve flipped a table and crouched behind it. I looked around for some sort of weapon, but didn't really see anything that would be helpful. One of Tony's killer bots started flying at me so I stood up and jumped on it as it began to fly around. 

"You should have some sort control panel," I muttered to myself as I held on. "Tony, where is the off switch?!" I shouted angrily as it flew at the bar. 

"We are here to help," the thing said repeatedly. "We are here to help. We are here to help. We are here to help. It's unsafe. It's unsafe. It's unsafe."

"You are unsafe little murderbots," I muttered as I finally let go and fell behind the bar. 

"Nice of you to drop in," Natasha said. 

"Do you have an extra gun?" I asked.

"Nope," Natasha said.

"Long stick?" I asked.

Natasha looked around and then pulled something from the bar, "will this work?" 

I looked at it and then grabbed another short piece of metal, "these should do it." 

"What are you?" Bruce asked as I stood on top of the bar as one of the bots came for me. I speared it with the short metal stick before spearing the back half with the longer one and spinning it around.

"Physics," I said simply. 

"No more. That's the one," Tony said from the front. 

"It's unsafe," the bot I stuck with a pole said before it shut down. 

"Cap!" Clint said as he threw the shield at Steve who dismembered the last remaining bot. 

"That was dramatic!" Ultron said as it hobbled up to us all. "I'm sorry, I know you mean well. You just didn't think it through. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. How is humanity saved if it's not allowed to evolve? With these? These puppets?" Ultron asked as he picked up a head of one of the murderbots. "There's only one path to peace: The Avengers' extinction."

I jumped as Thor threw his hammer through Ultron, and then it was over. "Are you okay?" Tony asked as he ran over to me.

"Considering that I just found out that it's the twenty-first century three days ago," I said looking at the mess around us. "Could be worse."