chapter twenty-one: Shattered

"Stark?" Ross asked, and we both turned. "Did he give you anything on Rogers?"

"Nope," Tony said. "Told me to go to hell."

"Something about abusing your familial connections," I said as Tony helped me climb in. 

"I'm going back to the compound instead, but you can call me anytime," Tony said. "I'll put you on hold. I like to watch the line blink."

As soon as the door closed, I turned on Tony. "If you ever put me on hold, I will hunt you down."

"Noted," Tony said. "Also, do you remember the suit you designed."

"Yes, it's much better than your own," I said.

"No, it's not," Tony said as he rolled his eyes. "Just give me your hand."

I gave him a suspicious look as he took off his sling, but did as he asked. He grabbed my right hand and pressed in onto something, and then did the same. I squeaked as the Iron Man suit surrounded me and then I was flying next to Tony. 

"You could've warned me," I chided.

"I did," Tony said. 

"I'm not wearing it except to fly," I warned.

"I know, that's why it'll fold into those nice little bracelets for your hands and ankles," Tony said.

"How'd you manage that?" I questioned.

"Very carefully," Tony said, and then we flew in silence. When we landed, I felt a shiver go up my spine. "You okay?"

"I just never thought I'd be back here of my own free will," I said nervously. "Steve and Bucky are already here."

"Yeah, let's hope the party hasn't started," Tony said as we went inside and found the elevator. I had the armor go into the bracelets and breathed a sigh of relief. "You should probably leave that on."

"I'm not a fighter like you, Tony," I reminded. "And if I'm needed for leverage, I shouldn't look like an Iron Woman." 

Tony shrugged, but his mask went back up as the elevator came to a halt. "Stay behind me," Tony warned as he forced the door open. We stepped out, and we weren't shot at, so I took that as a good sign. I stepped out from behind Tony when his mask slid back, and I saw Steve looking at Tony questingly.

Bucky just looked ready to take my nephew out, or maybe he was just in a bad mood. 

"You seem a little defensive," Tony said to Steve. 

"It's been a long day," Steve said. "You shouldn't have brought her."

"She made a good argument," Tony replied.

"She needs to stay safe," Steve shot back.

"She convinced me we needed her help," Tony said. 

"She is right here," I said angrily as I stood right in front of Steve. "And I will slap you, Steven Grant Rogers if you keep talking about me as if I'm not here."

"Helena is gonna slap you Steve," Bucky said under his breath, and I couldn't help but smile as Steve tried not to glare at his best friend. 

"At ease, Soldier," Tony said to Bucky. "I'm not currently after you."

"Then why are you here?" Steve asked. 

"Could be your story's not so crazy. Maybe," Tony admitted and I rolled my eyes. "Ross has no idea I'm here. I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, I gotta arrest myself and Auntie."

"Well, that sounds like a lot of paperwork," Steve said. "And one hell of a family feud. It's good to see you, Tony." 

"You too, Cap," Tony said before looking at Bucky. "Hey, Manchurian Candidate, you're killing me. There's a truce here. You can drop..."