chapter twenty-two: Say

When I made it to the control room, Zemo was gone. When I looked back at the other room, there was only destruction left. I could only hope there wouldn't be death too. I ran out of the control room, intent on finding Zemo when I ran into T'Challa.

"Miss Stark," he said carefully. 

"What are you?" I began, but shook my head. "Do you know where he went?"

"I am going to bring him to justice," T'Challa said. 

I breathed a sigh of relief, "then we better find him."

"You will not try to kill him?" T'Challa asked.

"I've seen more death today than I-" I said shakily, before stopping.

"I am sorry for your loss," T'Challa said. 

"It wasn't his fault," was my only reply as I marched out into the cold. The icy wind was freezing my tears, but I didn't care. I could hear the sounds from them fighting, even out here. Even where the snow absorbed most of the sound, and I knew who would be held responsible for it. 

T'Challa stopped me, and stepped in front of me. He took off his mask and placed it in the snow as he carefully stepped forward, "I almost killed the wrong man."

"Hardly an innocent one," Zemo said.

"You know nothing of James Barnes," I hissed angrily. "He is more of a victim than any of us." 

"This is all you wanted?" T'Challa asked as he put a hand on my arm to calm me down. "To see them rip each other apart."

"My father lived outside the city. I thought we would be safe there. My son was excited," Zemo said. "He could see the Iron Man from the car window. I told my wife, "Don't worry. "They're fighting in the city. We're miles from harm." When the dust cleared, and the screaming stopped, it took me two days until I found their bodies.

"My father, still holding my wife and son in his arms. And the Avengers? They went home. I knew I couldn't kill them. More powerful men than me have tried. But, if I could get them to kill each other," Zemo said as I stepped up to his other side and saw the gun.

"I'm sorry about your father," Zemo continued. "He seemed a good man. With a dutiful son."

"Vengeance has consumed you," T'Challa said, "It's consuming them. I am done letting it consume me. Justice will come soon enough."

"Tell that to the dead," Zemo said as he aimed the gun under his chin and pulled the trigger. T'Challa acted to quickly that I didn't catch everything that happened until Zemo was on the ground, still alive. 

"The living are not done with you, yet," T'Challa said. 

"Thank you," I told T'Challa as he held Zemo firmly in his grasp. "And you," I said angrily as I glared at Zemo. 

"I'm sorry you had to witness your brothers' death," Zemo said. "I didn't think they would bring you with." 

"Well, they need my help," I said. 

"Helena," T'Challa warned. 

"I know," I told him as I started running toward the sounds of fighting. It suddenly stopped, and I feared the worst. As I ran up, I saw Steve's shield embedded into the chest portion of Tony's armor. "Oh, my-" I said in horror. 

I stopped where I stood as Steve breathed heavily, there were tears in his eyes, but he had won. Steve fell behind Tony, and I started to move to join his side, but Steve, always the fighter was up before I took five steps. 

As he pulled his shield out of Tony's reactor, Steve saw me. I started walking towards him again, but Steve shook his head slightly as he walked away from me. I stopped right behind Tony as they both struggled to try to stay conscious.