chapter twenty: S1

"Helena," Natasha greeted when she saw me. "I'm glad that you weren't hurt, and that you weren't there."

"Steve thought it best to hand me off to Sharon, just in case," I said. 

"Were you actually kidnapped?" Natasha asked curiously.

I showed her my bruised wrists, "I didn't get into that helicopter of my own free will."

"Did-" Natasha began, but then Tony walked up. 

"How's Rhodey?" I asked. 

"The doctors say he shattered L4 through S1," Tony said, and I cringed. "Extreme laceration to the spinal cord. Probably looking at some form of paralysis." 

"Steve's not gonna stop," Natasha told Tony.

"Natasha's right, Tony," I said gently. 

"If you don't either, Rhodey's gonna be the best-case scenario," Natasha continued. 

"You let them go, Nat," Tony reprimanded. 

"We played this wrong," Natasha insisted. 

"We?" Tony asked, incredulously. "Boy, it must be hard to shake the whole double agent thing, huh? It sticks in the DNA."

"Tony," I said gently.

"Are you incapable of letting go of your ego for one goddamn second?" Natasha demanded. 

"T'Challa told Ross what you did, so, they're coming for you," Tony warned. 

"I'm not the one that needs to watch their back," Natasha said sharply before turning to me. "I'm really glad you weren't hurt, Helena."

"Not yet," I said as we watched her walk away. "You really have an ego almost as big as Howard's."

Tony smiled wryly when he got an alert, "what am I looking at, Friday?"

"Priority upload from Berlin police," FRIDAY replied. 

"Fire up the chopper," Tony said, and I gave him a look. "No."

"Yes," I said firmly. 

"No, Auntie, you are not coming with," Tony said. 

"If you had listened to Steve, you would know he was telling the truth," I told Tony as I poked him in the chest. "You would know that you need me there, whether you like it or not."

"Yeah, no." 

"Who did they use to control the Winter Soldier, Tony?" I demanded. "They didn't just torture him to get him to do what they wanted, they used me too, Tony."

"I know, Helena," Tony said weakly. 

"And if the other soldiers were controlled the same way with the same person," I told him.

"I hate you," Tony said, but didn't stop me from following. "Do you know where we're going?"

"My guess is somewhere cold," I said. "Steve wouldn't tell me exactly where."

"You're gonna need something warmer, and a hat to keep that frizz down," Tony said, and I rolled my eyes. 

"You're worse than Howard," I muttered.

"At least I know where Aunt Rosie gets her lovely curls," Tony said. 

~*~

"The Task Force called for a psychiatrist as soon as Barnes was captured," FRIDAY said. "The UN dispatched Doctor Theo Broussard from Geneva within the hour. He was met by this man."