chapter six: Safe

"What is this place?" Thor asked as we walked up to a quiet, quaint, family home with a red barn a few yards away. 

"A family home," I said wistfully. 

"A safe house?" Tony asked. 

"Let's hope," Clint said as we walked in. "Honey, I'm home." I was expecting a sister, but a woman obviously very pregnant walked in, and she did not look at him like a sister would. "Hi. Company. Sorry I didn't call ahead."

"Hey," she greeted as she kissed Clint. 

"This is an agent of some kind," Tony whispered loudly, so I elbowed him. "Ow!"

"Gentleman, and Helena, this is Laura," Clint told us. 

"I know all your names," Laura said. "Well, technically not Helena until just now, but..."

"It's wonderful to meet you," I said and then some kids ran in. 

"Ooh, incoming," Clint said as the two kids ran to him. 

"Dad!" The little girl said lovingly. 

"I see her!" Clint said as he kissed the top of his son's head. "Hey, buddy! How you guys doing?"

"These are smaller agents," Tony said. 

"Look at your face! Oh, my goodness!" Clint said to the little girl. 

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" She asked. 

"Why don't you hug her and find out?" Clint asked as she walked in behind me. The little girl rushed to Natasha who easily picked her up. I felt a lump in my throat as I saw the little kids and felt the pain of what I missed. 

"Sorry for barging in on you," Steve said. 

"Yeah, we would have called ahead, but we were busy having no idea that you existed," Tony said to which I elbowed him again. "Ow!" 

"Yeah, well Fury helped me set this up when I joined. He kept it off SHIELD's files, I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low," Clint said. 

"Honey. Ah, I missed you," Laura said as Natasha gave her a hug. 

"How's little Natasha, huh?" She asked. 

"She's...Nathaniel," Laura said. 

"Traitor," Natasha said.

I laughed, "Howard said the same thing when Rosemary was born." 

Thor swayed for a moment and walked back out the door. I gave Steve a nudge, "Thor."

"I saw something in that dream. I need answers, I won't find them here," Thor said before flying away. 

"Dreams only make reality harder," I muttered to myself.

"Laura, do you think you have something that would fit Helena?" Natasha asked. "I would loan her some of my stuff, but our styles are very different."

"Of course," Laura said.

"Come on," Natasha said grabbing my hand. "Let's get some girl time."

"And they've abandoned us to the munchkins," Tony said as Natasha dragged me upstairs. 

Laura began rummaging through her closet, "obviously, you can't wear materity clothes. But, I hope you don't mind denin and plaid." 

"Some of the most useful fabrics ever invented for mechanics," I said smiling as I took them. 

"You doing okay?" Natasha asked.

I nodded, "I think I'll feel a lot better when I make that trip to Italy."