chapter seventeen: Signature

"He was attacked by a guy in a catsuit," I sighed as I looked at the screen. 

Tony was making faces as he talked on the phone, and they were not happy faces. "No, Romania was not Accords-sanctioned." Tony started gesturing, and I saw Steve with Sam, neither looked happy. "Colonel Rhodes is supervising cleanup."

"Steve," I said as I ran to his arms. 

"I thought you were in the hospital," Steve breathed as he looked at me concerned. 

"You're welcome," Natasha said. "Try not to break anything while we fix this."

"Consequences?" I heard Tony ask. "You bet there'll be consequences."

"You made a mess," I told Steve and Sam bluntly. 

"Obviously you can quote me on that, because I just said it," Tony said. "Anything else? Thank you, sir."

"Consequences?" Steve asked as Tony stepped forward. 

"Secretary Ross wants you both prosecuted," Tony said. "Had to give him something."

"I'm not getting that shield back, am I?" Steve asked. 

"Technically, it's the government's property. Wings, too," Natasha said. 

"That's cold," Sam said. 

"Warmer than jail," Natasha responded.

"I technically made that shield," I mumbled. "Well, Howard and I made that shield, but still." 

"Hey, you wanna see something cool?" Tony asked, and Steve and I followed him. "I pulled something from Dad's archives. Felt timely."

"Didn't know Howard had anything like these," I said to Tony as I looked at the pens. 

"FDR signed the Lend-Lease bill with these in 1941," Tony said. "Provided support to the Allies when they needed it most."

"Some would say it brought our country closer to war," Steve replied. 

"See? If not for these, you wouldn't be here," Tony said. " I'm trying to... What do you call it? That's an olive branch." 

"Is that what you call it?" Steve questioned.

"You two are a pain in my ass," I muttered. 

"Is Pepper here? I didn't see her," Steve asked.

"You just had to say something," I sighed. 

"We're kinda," Tony began. "Well, not kinda..."

"Pregnant?" Steve asked, and I tried not to laugh. 

"No. Definitely not," Tony said quickly. "We're taking a break. It's nobody's fault."

"I'm so sorry, Tony. I didn't know," Steve said. 

"A few years ago, I almost lost her, so I trashed all my suits. Then, we had to mop up HYDRA, and then Ultron. My fault. And then, and then, and then, I never stopped," Tony said. "Because the truth is I don't wanna stop. I don't wanna lose her. I thought maybe the Accords could split the difference. In her defence, I'm a handful."

"No kidding," I said sarcastically. 

"Yet, Dad was a pain in the ass, but he and Mom always made it work," Tony said. 

"There is something about being married that calms you down," I told Tony. 

"I'm glad Howard got married," Steve said. "I only knew him when he was young and single."

"Oh, really? You two knew each other? He never mentioned that. Maybe only a thousand times," Tony said, and I rolled my eyes. "God, I hated you."

"I don't mean to make things difficult," Steve said honestly. 

"I know, because you're a very polite person," Tony said bitterly. 

"We can't all be like you, Tony," I reminded. 

"If I see a situation pointed south, I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could," Steve said. 

"No, you don't," I told him.

"No, I don't," Steve agreed. 

"Sometimes," Tony said annoyed. "Sometimes I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth. But I don't wanna see you gone. We need you, Cap. So far, nothing's happened that can't be undone, if you sign. We can make the last twenty-four hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych-center instead of a Wakandan prison." 

"I'm not saying it's impossible, but there would have to be safeguards," Steve said firmly. 

"Sure," Tony agreed. "Once we put out the PR fire, those documents can be amended. I'd file a motion to have you and Wanda reinstated."

"Wanda? What about Wanda?" I asked quickly, as Steve looked rather alarmed. 

"She's fine," Tony said easily. "She's confined to the compound, currently. Vision's keeping her company."

"Oh, God, Tony," Steve exclaimed, and I elbowed him. "Every time I think you see things the right way..."

"It's a hundred acres with a lap pool. It's got a screening room," Tony said. "There's worse ways to protect people."

"Protection?" Steve asked. "Is that how you see this? This is protection? It's internment, Tony."

"She's not a US citizen," Tony said. 

"Oh, come on, Tony."

"And they don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction."

"She's a kid!" I reminded Tony. 

"Give me a break!" Tony said. "I have enough of a hard time dealing with my own family.  I'm doing what has to be done. To stave off something worse."

"You keep telling yourself that," Steve said as he put the pen back. "Hate to break up the set."

"Steve," I said annoyed, and Tony just rolled his eyes. "You two are hopeless. Can't you two just suck it up and try to figure out a way past this whole thing?" 

"Sorry, Auntie, this isn't something we can just make go away," Tony said, and I glared at him. 

"You can't let your egos get in the way, and you can't let people walk all over you," I reminded both of them. "There is always a way to figure these things out." 

~*~

"You sure you're up to being in there?" Natasha asked as I stood outside of the door where Bucky was being held, and where the psych eval was about to take place. 

"They don't believe me when I say Bucky wouldn't hurt me, yet they still want me in there to keep him from killing someone if he breaks out," I muttered. "I'm fine, Nat. Just pissed off." 

"You can help us all stay together," Nat said. 

"The only thing I'm going to be helping with, is helping Bucky right now," I told her. "Steve and Tony can fight amongst themselves for all I care." 

"They just might," Natasha warned. "And I think you know which side the government will support." 

"Like I said, Nat," I told her. "I need to help Bucky right now, Steve's a big boy who can stay off the radar. Bucky had the whole world hunting him, and he needs help. I'm not going to be picking sides."

"You might not have a choice," Natasha said. 

"I know," I said. "But I have one now. This might all end in disaster, but I'll be damned if I don't try to do something. Bucky needs help, he doesn't need two men fighting like toddlers." 

"It's not gonna be pretty," Natasha warned. "The things the guy will ask."

"Are things he has to," I said. "But if I'm there, I'm hoping Bucky will realize that I'm on his side. That I'm in his corner, and that I'm going to help him as much as I can." 

"He's going to need it," Natasha said.

"And I'm gonna pray as many rosaries as I can before the interview stars," I added with a smile. "I can never have too much help." 

~*~