chapter twelve: Samuel

"Are you ready to be swarmed?" Tony asked as we drove up. 

I nodded nervously, "I just want to see my daughter again."

"You are going to see a lot more than just Rosemary," Tony warned as we stopped in front of a large house. "I thought this would be a good place for a family reunion."

"It's quiet," I said smiling.

"Not for long," Tony warned, and sure enough as soon as the words were out of his mouth a swarm of people ran out. "Your legacy awaits."

"Uncle Tony," a voice greeted and slapped Tony on the back. 

"Is this Bisnonna?" A female voice asked.

I felt so incredibly confused as so many people came up to us. As I looked at the faces surrounding me, I could pick out elements I recognized from Rafael and myself. There were even a few that reminded me of my mama. 

"Let's not swarm the poor woman," Tony said and everyone quickly stepped back. "Everyone, I'd like you to meet Bisnonna Helena." I smiled as a cheer went up, and then everyone quickly hushed. 

"Mama?" A voice asked. I past Tony and saw an old woman, but as soon as I saw her eyes I knew it was my Rosemary. 

"Hello, darling," I said smiling. 

"I knew you would come back one day," Rosemary said as I pulled her into a tight hug. "I missed you so much."

"I missed you too," I said as I started to cry. 

"Nonna?" Someone asked innocently, "why are you crying."

"Because I'm happy, Violet," Rosemary answered. 

"But I thought you only cried when you were hurt," the little girl said in a confused voice.

Rosemary picked up the little girl, "you also cry when you're happy."

"Why are you happy?" Violet asked.

"Because my mama came back home," Rosemary said. 

"You're Nonna's Mama?" Violet asked innocently.

"It's a long story," I told her as I tickled her stomach.

"I like stories," Violet said giggling. 

"I think this calls for a celebration," Tony said. 

"Of course you do," a voice drawled out. I turned to see a priest standing with a disapproving look on his face, he had Rafael's eyes.

Tony smiled cheekily, "nothing wrong with a bit of wine, Sam." 

Sam frowned at Tony before turning to me with a bright smile, "it's nice to finally meet my Grandmother." 

"Oh, goodness," I breathed as I looked at the large family. "Rafael and I never in our wildest dreams ever thought-"

"I hope Papa would be proud," Rosemary said. 

"I know he would be."

~*~

"It's Uncle Steve!" Little Violet shouted out as she ran outside. I had already spent a week with the large legacy that is my family. It's weird to have so many relatives that you barely know, but it seems like I've known them for decades. 

"Uncle Steve?" I asked Tony. 

Tony shrugged, "when he woke up, Rosemary reached out to him. Started coming around, introduced him as Uncle Steve to the family." Rosemary and I have spent most of the time talking to each other, she told me so many stories of what she and Gabrielle were like, and how Howard didn't particularly like him at first. 

"I think it helped Steve to have a familiar face," Daniel said, he was Samuel's twin. 

"Didn't help that there are two of you," Tony said, and the twins collectively rolled their eyes. 

"Is he normally like this?" I asked.

"You have no idea," Aria, Rosemary's oldest said as the kids ran outside to meet Steve as he walked down the drive. Steve picked up little Violet as he walked into the house, he smiled at me before he greeted Rosemary and Gabrielle. 

"I'm glad you were able to come, Mr. Rogers," Rosemary said and Steve smiled. 

"Well, your mom still owes me a dance," Steve replied. 

"It better just be dancing, that's my aunt you know," Tony said as he took Violet from Steve.

"Anthony," Rosemary scolded as she swatted Tony on the ear. 

"Ow! Rosemary," Tony complained, but she started scolding him in Italian as she dragged him out. 

"He is Howard's son," I said shaking my head as Steve laughed. 

"How are you settling in?" Steve questioned. 

I made a face, "there's so much new technology."

"I think you'll catch on pretty quickly," Steve said as he sat next to me. "I've been here for a few years, and I still haven't caught on." 

"So much is different," I said as I looked outside to see the family setting up. Rosemary declared that with my coming home, that there needed to be a celebration. "Not just the technology, but the mentality of people. I thought after the war, after HYDRA, nothing would surprise me." 

"I did too," Steve said gently as he grabbed my hand. "There were times where I questioned everything, but then I looked around at the innocent faces, and knew that I had to keep fighting."

"It feels like the war never ended," I whispered. "I wake up, and there's always a battle."

"But we don't live for war, we live for the moments between the war," Steve said as he pulled me up.

"When did you get so wise?" I asked as I raised an eyebrow at him. 

"When I thought I lost the woman I love," Steve answered honestly.

"I-" I began nervously, but Steve stopped me as he walked away. I was about to get angry, but then he turned on the radio to an old jazz station. "My parents used to dance to this," I mused as I looked at Steve confused. 

"I didn't know that," Steve said as he offered me a hand. "But I do know that your family is setting up a dance floor outside, but I want my dance with you to be a bit more private."

"In the kitchen?" I questioned. 

"Is there a better place?" Steve asked.

"I have no shoes on," I added.

"Then I better not step on your feet." 

~*~

Hi everyone,

I was going to make this chapter longer, and add things, but I just couldn't. This ending was just too perfect (and sappy) to add the party. Just know that Helena's family is very good at partying, and they learned from Tony. ;)

Hope you've been enjoying the story.

KiraKisa