chapter nine: Splendid

"I'm going to make this very clear," Tony said as he got suited up to fly out. "You stay with Steve the entire time, alright?"

"I'll be fine," I told him as I strapped the odd device I made to my back and grabbed a tool belt Tony grabbed for me. 

"And," Tony said as he slapped a bracelet onto my arm. "If you need help, press the blue button."

"At least it's not red," I muttered.

"What?" Tony questioned.

"Red is bad," Clint said lightly.

"Everyone knows that," Pietro added smugly.

"Well, fine then," Tony said before flying off. 

"It's kinda nice to see him concerned about a teammate," Steve said lightly. 

"He really is Howard's son," I said smiling.

"A womanizer?" Clint asked. 

"Weapons maker?" Wanda continued. 

"The caring part that keeps family safe," I said. 

Pietro made a face, "I'll believe it when I see it."

"Hate to break it to you both," Vision said. "But you just saw it." 

"Burn," Clint muttered making me smile

"No way we all get through this. If even one tin soldier is left standing, we've lost. It's gonna be blood on the floor," Tony said over the comms as we landed. 

"I got no plans tomorrow night," Steve said.

"Day after though," I said. 

"I get first crack at the big guy. Iron Man's the one he's waiting for," Tony said. 

"That's true, he hates you the most," Vision said. 

"Ultron knows we're coming. Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out," Steve said. 

"I'll go hotwire some busses," I told Steve as I walked away. 

"All they want is to live their lives in peace, and that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done, and find out what Ultron's been building," Steve told us as I quickly found a van and turned it on. 

"Come on people," I said as I grabbed a random person and made them drive the bus. "Get out of the city." 

"We find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters and we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right," Steve continued. 

I quickly hotwired another van and got more people on it when I heard crying. I looked around and then saw a little child crying with all of the chaos around her. 

I quickly ran to her side, "what's wrong, Sweetie?"

"I can't find my daddy," she cried. 

"Maybe he went to grab a bag for you," I suggested gently as I picked her up. "Let's get you somewhere safe," I told her as robots started flying down on the city. 

"Daddy!" The little blonde child screamed as they flew at us. I pulled of the weird weapon I made and turned it on. The robot and those around it came flying towards us, with their momentum, I spun the gun around and sent them momentarily flying in another direction.

Looking around, I saw another car that was abandoned. A woman and her son were running away from some robots, so I turned on the device again and then promptly shot the metal monsters.