chapter seven: Sorry

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing," a man named Nick Fury said.

"He couldn't just make himself useful and make something like armor for other soldiers," I muttered. 

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asked. 

"Ah," Mr. Fury began. "He's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though."

"I'm Catholic," I muttered.

"Apologies, Miss Stark," Mr. Fury said.

"We don't breed like rabbits, Mr. Fury," I told him. 

"I'm just amazed at how she addressed you," Tony said looking at me shocked.

"It's the polite thing to do," I said rolling my eyes.

"Just call him Fury, or Nick, you can try Nicky" Tony said. "It's what we do."

"You have a point, Mr. Stark?" Fury asked. 

"He still going after launch codes?" Tony asked exasperatedly. 

"Yes, he is, but he's not making any headway," Fury replied. 

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare," Tony said. 

"You showed me that," I said to Tony, "Didn't seem that hard." 

"Yeah, well, I contacted our friends at the NEXUS about that," Fury said. 

"NEXUS?" Steve asked. 

"It's the world internet hub in Oslo, every byte of data flows through there, fastest access on earth," Bruce explained. 

"So what'd they say?" Clint asked. 

"He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed," Fury said. 

"By whom?" I asked. 

"Parties unknown."

"Do we have an ally?" Natasha asked. 

"Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is," Fury said. 

"I might need to visit Oslo, find our unknown," Tony said. 

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that," Natasha said. 

"I do, I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. Here we all are, back on earth, with nothing but our wit, and our will to save the world," Fury said. "So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard."

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk," Natasha said and then winked at me. "I think he picked that up from Helena here."

"You know what, Romanoff?" Steve said as Natasha smiled mischievously at him. 

"So, what does he want?" Fury asked. 

"To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies," Steve said. 

"Person bodies. The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it," Tony said.

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed," Natasha said. 

"I second that opinion," I said. 

"They don't need to be protected, they need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve," Bruce said.