Task Two Entries: Mortal

Iris Bell

Iris plopped onto her small couch and pulled out a pack of Oreos. She peeled off the top carefully, slowly inhaling the delicious scent of chocolate cookies and cream. These were the times she really lived for. There was nothing that couldn't be repaired or fixed by a fresh bag of Oreos and young Anthony Hopkins. Not that today had been particularly bad. It had actually been pretty good. You know, when you didn't take into account the fact that Iris had almost died.

"Hold on," Iris said. "You're rushing. Now, just calm down and tell me what the hell is going on." She heard her friend Jake take several deep breaths.

"Okay, you know how you're still stumped about what happened to that guy Doran or whatever? Well, I had to pull in a few favors but I got you a necromancer! His name is Clyde and he'll meet you at what's his name's house. Oh, and by the way, you owe me big time. You have no idea how many strings I had to pull to get you this guy."

"Thanks Jake. The next time we get together, I'll get you a jumbo pack of double stuffed Oreos." Iris hung up the phone. A real necromancer! She'd better hurry, she didn't want to be late. Iris grabbed her jacket and slung it over her shoulder as she closed her apartment door.

The walk to Dorian's didn't take nearly as long as it had the first day. Probably because that annoying Fae was gone. Iris opened the door quietly and slipped into the mansion, careful not to make a sound. The necromancer, Clyde, was setting up as she walked into the living room.

"I'm almost done," he said over his shoulder. "Go ahead and sit down, this may take awhile."

"Is there a problem?" Iris asked.

"Well, he's a dragon. It's a lot harder to raise him and the spell only lasts for ten minutes. Can you put the body in the middle of this circle? I put him in the walk-in freezer." Iris complied, though a bit grudgingly. The prince's skin was blue and almost too cold to touch. She dragged him into the middle of the circle and Clyde began to chant, first quietly and then louder and louder. The prince's eyes opened suddenly, and he sat up groggily. He rubbed the back of his head gingerly.

"What happened?" he asked slowly. "I should be dead. I'm not dead. Why am I not dead?" Iris crossed the room to look him in the face.

"I'm here conducting a murderer investigation your Majesty. I only need to ask you a few questions and then I can get on with my job and you can go back to being dead. A nice win win scenario." Dorian shook his head.

"No," he said. "I should be dead. Why did you wake me up?" Iris sighed.

"Look," she said, "this is all temporary. As soon as you answer my questions you can go back to being dead. Now, how would you describe the assailant?"

"I don't remember. I don't remember anything."

"Are you sure?" Iris asked. "Please anything you can remember. A feeling, anything would help." Dorian shook his head again.

"I told you, I can't remember." Iris sighed exasperatedly.

"Are you positive? Even the tiniest thing would-"

"I told you, I don't remember!" he yelled, and blew fire at the spot where Iris' head had been. Luckily, she was fast. "Just let me rest!" He blew fire at her face again, but she darted away.

"I'm sorry, your Highness, but I really need some information."

"I don't care!" he yelled, and this time his flames grazed her arm. She stumbled, white hot pain coursing through her. Dorian sighed and put his head in his hands. Iris cradled the arm gingerly as she fought down the wave of annoyance and nausea.