Chapter 19

Hello! It's NightSong! Just a quick note, and i'll get to the chase. Tomorrow is my last day of school, and so I should be able to update more often. If I have the inspiration. Anyway, thanks for reading! I am not an author that asks for her followers to like, or vote, or share. I'm just SO happy that anyone takes the time to read my stories! SO THANK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! Anyway, time to get on with the story!

Cess ran out of Foxfire, lightheaded. She didn't know where she was going, she just wanted to get away. From Fior, from Elwin, from that school where people judged. She ran to a tree and climbed all the way up, only slipping once. She sat in the middle, hidden within the thick leaves. She caught one finger on fire, and held it up in the air. She looked at in in awe and horror and regret. She hadn't meant to cause so much damage... She hadn't meant to cause so much suffering...She hadn't meant  to hurt him... Orris-Hibilae. It had just... Happened. 

Cess swiped at her eye. She tried to think of happy things, but her mind kept circling back to Fior... and what happened. 

What had happened?

She pulled her knees up to her chin and tears leaked down her face. 

I almost killed an innocent boy.  

Cess's tears dripped down her chin and fell toward the ground. She sat there for a few minutes, just thinking about what to do. What she had done. 

That was when she heard the cry for help.

She sat up straighter, convinced that she had imagined it.

But no... "Help! Please! I need help!"

Cess scrambled down the tree. 

She saw the faded form of a young man, collapsed on the ground.

He had red hair and pale skin. He looked up and looked Cess in the eyes.

They were periwinkle. 

"Please! Save her! Please... She needs help that I can't get her... with them! They are trying to force me to cooperate. I won't. I don't care if they kill me. She was willing to sacrifice... Sacrifice herself for me. Please!" 

His form flickered as he pleaded. Cess backed up, genuinely scared. 

Who was this guy?

"No matter what happens, do not give in. We have... have not- after so many years. You can't either! They know you're special. Same with... With Lai. And Fior. You've got to save them!"

The man gasped as if in great pain, and he almost disappeared. 

"Promise me, Cess!"

Cess screamed and backed up further. "HOW DO YOU KNOW MY NAME?!" She screamed. 

"N-no ti-time! Promise me! Please. Protect them!"

She stuttered, ''Protect them... from who? Who are you?!"

His head drooped. His voice was barely audible. He sighed, and tried to say one last thing. But before he could get it out, he disappeared. Only his voice was left.

"The Neverseen, Cess. You gotta go after Lai! Check the tower..."

And then it was gone. 

Only then did she remember Fior's words.

Find Lai, Cess! Please! She's in some sort of danger. I don't really know what. I don't really know where. But, please. Please find her. Find Lai! Without m-  

Somehow, she knew. It was her fault. The fault of the Grandmother she never knew. She had heard stories. Not many, but some.

Stories of an Elf named Sophie Foster.

Cess ran back the way she came and burst through the doors. 

She ran all the way upstairs, all the way to the tower. A few people shot her strange looks, but she didn't care. She flew all the way up the stairs. 

She dropped to her knees and searched the floor desperately. Something was there, she knew. She knew.

She was right. 

I didn't want to do this. They wanted me to kill you. But I couldn't. They wanted me to bring... To bring....You can't tell anyone that this happened. I don't know why they chose you. Please, please don't hate me. They... they threatened to kill Sophie. And Keefe. And all the rest. If I didn't do it. Please, please understand. Don't tell anyone. Or else... Or else... I don't even want to think about it. Please. Don't come for her. Please. 

~Fitz Vacker

Everything clicked.

She jumped up, and ran all the way to the library. The Librarian shot her a look as she was cleaning up.

Cess ignored her, and ran to the Human section. She scanned the shelves for one book. One book in particular. When she didn't see it, she cursed. Loudly. The librarian practically burned her with her eyes as she ran up, yelling.

"WHERE IS THE BOOK!??!"

"What book, child?"

"AMY'S SMALL BOOK OF WONDERS!!!"

The woman scoffed. "Someone checked that out just today."

"WHO!?!?!?"

"A boy named Noek. Why...?"

Cess was out of there, tearing out of the room, out of the school, across the lawn. She pumped as much power to her legs as she could, and even then she couldn't go fast enough.

All the way down a path, to the left, right, down a staircase, left, up a staircase, left, left again, right, and up 2 flights of stairs.

Cess practically punched in the door of the house she had run to. 

She tried to scream, "LET ME IN, NOEK!" But it came out as more of a, "M-my god, N-no-noek, l-let-t me fre-freaking IN!"

The door collapsed inward, and she practically fell into her cousin's arms.

"NOEK! GIVE ME THE BOOK!"