Chapter 20

YAY WE HAVE FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINALLY MADE IT! 20 CHAPTERS! THAT'S AMAZING! THX 4 READING, HOPE U ENJOY THE CHAPTER!

"God, Cessa! What book? And did you just run all the way here from Foxfire?"

Panting, she nodded. Cess didn't even have the strength to scowl at his use of her full name. 

"What book, Cessa?"

"A-am-amy's L-lit-tle b-boo-book of w-wonde-ders!"

Noek sighed. "And I just checked that book out today." He walked inside, then came back a minute later with a thin, worn purple book. She took it, and hugged it to her chest.

"THANKS!" She cried, then slammed his own door in his face.

Cess held up her crystal to get home. The light cast a beam upon the ground, and she stepped into it.

When she opened her eyes, the first thing she saw was her little brother and father. 

Her brother, Cass, (whose name was actually Androcassilino, but that was too long, and so he decided to call himself Cass, to rhyme with Cess. Sort of. Cass wasn't that great at rhymes) beamed, and ran up to her, arms open for a hug.

"You were gone forEVA!" He cried, "It was, like, YEARS!"

Cess laughed. "Cass, I saw you only this morning!"

"Yeah, that was FOREVER ago!"

Their dad walked up and scooped them both up in his arms.

Cass giggled and squirmed, and Cess just sighed and went limp, lolling her head back, black braided strands falling away from her skin. She realized that without her hair, her protection, she was vulnerable, like a newborn calf on wobbly legs.

Maybe it was not her hair. Maybe it was Fior. Maybe... Maybe she actually thought of him as a... friend. 

No. That was just weird... So what? If he wasn't a friend... what was he? I mean, he had practically died, and she had saved him. 

Why had she saved him, anyway?

Why had she felt so compelled to help?

Cess had to think about it for a second.

Why had she saved hi-

She banged her head on her dads' elbow.

"You ok, Cessa?"

She groaned, and drooped back over his arm. 

Nononononononononononononononononononooooooooooooooo.....

"WHY?!" She cried.

"Sweetie, Cessa, are you ok? Are you sick?"

"No!" Cess screamed, and wriggled out of his arms. She had gotten distracted, and now she needed time to think. And reread that book.

She ran all the way into the house-wow she has run a LOT today!-and up her way-too-long staircase. She threw open her door and plopped down on her bright pink bed that she hated. It was too pink, and too fluffy, and too squishy. She prefered blue or teal, and was not big on pink, fluffy or squishy. Her bed felt just like those human things that she saw in a book at the library. What were they called? Squashies? No, squishies! That was it! Her bed felt just like a squishy.

To her, they sucked.

Anyway, she threw herself down on her bed and opened the book like the fangirl she never was. Cess flipped to page one and read it aloud. She was not much of a reader, and neither did she particularly like reading, but there, at that time, it was necessary.

She was glad the book was short.

~Chapter 1-Chapter 5, skimmed by Cess, a not so professional skimmer. 

Once upon a time, there was an extraordinary girl. Her name was Sofie Froster, and she was beyond smart. She was blond, and had brown eyes. Her sister, Amy, however, was not smart. At least, not particularly. She was popular, and had friends, and loved her family. That was enough for her. Later on in life, she would see the true meaning, but that was not for years. One day, Amy could not really remember when, her sister began acting differently. She was distant. Scared, almost starstruck. Amy tried to figure out why, but she eventually gave up. Eventually, she realized that Sofie ceased to be her sister. She was skipping school, running away, and one day she came back only to say good-bye. What happened after that, Amy could only remember later. Sofie pulled out a disk, and said... Something she never wanted to rehash. She threw the disk, and backed away, crying. After that, it was only black. Sofie left there with a boy named Fiitz. Fiitz Vackre. They went on many adventures, the first meeting a new family. She could not stay with Amy because Sofie was not normal. She had powers. Her new family, Gradi and Edalinee, sent her to a new school to hone her powers. She met new friends, like Keefie-he had blonde hair and ice blue eyes- and Dax- he had periwinkle eyes and strawberry blonde hair-Sorry Dex! - and Biancah. Sofie learned that she was smart there too, and that some people wanted to kill her. They kidnapped her and Dax, and she almost died escaping. 

Cess slammed the book closed. She had enough information to piece things together. Like, Fiitz Vackre was Fitz Vacker, and Dax was that strange boy on the lawn. Though, his name was probably not Dax. Maybe... Day? No... Dey? No... Dex? That sounded right and proper. She had heard that name somewhere... But where? And why had she never heard of him before? Also, why had Dex disappeared? He obviously wasn't completely there, literally. But it didn't look like he had faded... more like a hologram of him had disappeared. Where was he really? How come he hadn't been there in person? Why why why? Why had she never heard that her own Grandma was kidnapped? And why had she never met her grandma? and who was her Grandfather? 

Now that she thought about it, a few too many questions seemed unanswered and strange. 

Like, what had ever happened to Sophie Foster?

Then she had an idea. 

Why not ask someone who knew her personally? 

Like, Gradi and Edalinee?

Or rather... Grady and Edaline Ruewen?

Them, she had heard of.